These toddler friendly Sweet Potato Broccoli Patties are filled with broccoli! You won’t have to force your toddlers to eat their vegetables when these are on the menu. They are also very freezer friendly.
Now that Soren is 9 1/2 months old, he is eating three solid meals a day, along with nursing 4 times a day. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I swear this little boy is a bottomless pit. He could eat and eat and eat all day long, and is consistently the last one at the dinner table every night because I’m never sure when he’s full and done eating!
As someone who loves food and feeding people, this makes my heart so very happy. Lars has always been a mediocre eater. From the very beginning of our days starting solids, he’s been hit or miss with what he will eat. I was a little nervous with Soren when we first started solids, as we started with purees and he absolutely hated them. Once we started with textured food, he was all in.
I haven’t made as many baby specific foods that I just feed him, as I try to give him pretty much whatever we are eating. If we have eggs and toast for breakfast, he has eggs and toast. And probably some yogurt and fruit, and eats double the amount that Lars does. When we eat turkey sandwiches for lunch, he has chopped up turkey and cheese along with some veggies and fruit. Same goes for dinner – if we have spaghetti, he has spaghetti. And proceeds to get it in every little crevice of his body. Fun times!
Sweet Potato Broccoli Patties
That said, I made these Sweet Potato Broccoli Patties for Lars when he was little and it was something that he actually loved, so I decided to make them again for a quick meal for Soren. Not surprisingly, he loved them.
Of course I couldn’t post a recipe without giving them a try myself. I added a little salt to mine because I am, admittedly, a salt lover. They were super tasty! If you are making them for yourself, or some more mature tastebuds, I would definitely add the garlic and onion powder.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Pierce sweet potato with a fork many times. Place in microwave and microwave for 6-8 minutes, until soft and cooked through. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Place chopped broccoli in a microwave safe bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of water and microwave for 5-6 minutes, until lightly steamed. Once steamed, roughly chop the broccoli into very small pieces. You can also place it in a large food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potato.
- Add the broccoli, eggs, breadcrumbs, and cheese, and mix well. Stir in the garlic powder and onion powder, if desired.
- Form into small patties and place onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.