I posted a link to my Sausage and Cheese Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole on Facebook last weekend, talking about how delicious it is (us food bloggers tend to do that) and also suggesting switching up the sausage for things like bacon, ham, or veggies. So I admit – this recipe is kind of cheating. It’s really just my sausage and cheese crescent roll casserole with different fillings. BUT! (There’s always a but, isn’ there?) it tastes a lot different and it’s pretty. So it calls for it’s own post.
Plus, I think any casserole recipe made in a 9×13″ dish that Marc and I can finish 2/3 of in one sitting calls for its own post. No joke. Sometimes I woner if our eating skills are impressive or embarrassing. Don’t answer that.
I was a little worried what Marc was going to think of this breakfast casserole without any meat in it. I feel like I think that every time I make something meatless and pretty much every time he still ends up loving it, sans meat and all. This time was no different – he loved it. Though I served it with a hearty side of bacon, just in case.
Remember how I’m trying to love cooking savory zucchini things more? It worked again and was a star in this casserole along with corn, tomatoes, and my favorite: basil! It really was as simple as sauteeing them a little in some olive oil, then laying them on top of the crescent roll dough followed by cheese and eggs. Then you let the oven do the work while you drink another
pot cup of coffee and just was soon as you start to get hungry – breakfast is ready!
Just as you could with the Sausage and Cheese version, you could definitely switch things up here, too. You could use different kinds of cheese (maybe shredded Gruyere or goats cheese?) and also use your favorite seasonal veggies too like summer squash, asparagus, or red peppers. I really loved the combo of zucchini, corn off the cob, and tomatoes with the basil – it tasted like summer!
summer vegetable crescent roll breakfast casserolePrint Rate
- 1 8 oz can crescent rolls
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 1/2 cup zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup corn I used fresh corn cut off the cob
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Unroll the crescent rolls and spread them out in the bottom of the pan, pressing the seams together to make one large sheet of dough. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until starting to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and corn and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomato, stir to combine, and remove from heat. If there is any extra liquid, try to discard it by dabbing with a paper towel.
- Pour veggies over crescent roll.
- Top veggies with cheese.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and basil.
- Pour over veggies and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, checking the last 10 minutes to make sure crescent rolls crust isn't getting too brown. If it is, cover with aluminum foil for the last 5-10 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then cut into squares and enjoy!