Say hello to your new favorite summer breakfast: Summer Vegetable Avocado Toast!
We are huge avocado toast eaters in our house. On a typical morning, my day starts like. First, I wake up to Soren babbling or yelling out for me. I stumble down the hallway to get him before he wakes anyone else up, and immediately make coffee. If it’s a good day, I was smart and prepped the coffee ahead of time.
Then I ask Soren what he wants for breakfast, even though I know what his answer will be 80% of time. “Do you want eggs?” I’ll ask. He nods yes. “Do you want toast?” Again, a nod. “Do you want avocado toast?” To which I get a very enthusiastic nod. Kids these days. Regular buttered bread isn’t good enough – we’re raising them to only want avocado toast!
I mean, it could be worse. He could insist on Everything Bagel Seasoning on his avocado toast. Oh wait, HE DOES. Insert eye roll emoji here. Admittedly, the stuff is delicious. I just can’t get over how an 18 month old insists on his special seasoning for his dang avocado toast.
I’ve been getting creative lately with our avocado toast, and this Summer Vegetable Avocado Toast is my favorite thing at the moment. Marc declared that he could eat this every single day…it’s THAT good!
And not only that but it is so simple and unfussy. Like, all it takes is a little veggie chopping, sautéing, and a handful of fresh basil to take your avocado toast from good to amazing.
I used some pretty standard summer vegetables in this recipe – zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and corn. You can ABSOLUTELY use other fresh veggies you might have on hand. I’m thinking mushrooms, kale, bell peppers, and summer squash would all be delish! One of the most important things, however, is that fresh basil. It just adds that burst of flavor and freshness that really seals the deal for me with summer meals.
p.s. if you still haven’t planted a basil plant yet, run to your nearest Trader Joe’s and pick up one of their gorgeous pots of basil for only $3.99!! It’ll be one of the best decisions you make all summer.
Looking for other recipes like this? Check these out!
Summer Vegetable Avocado ToastPrint Pin Rate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped, plus more for topping
- 4-6 slices bread
- 2 avocados mashed
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and corn, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fresh basil cook for another minute.
- While the vegetables are cooking, toast the bread and cook your eggs according to your preference.
- To assemble, spread mashed avocado onto each slice of toasted bread. I like my avocado pretty thick so I use about 1/2 of an avocado per slice of bread.
- Sprinkle the avocado with a little sea salt and then top with sauteed vegetables and the fried egg, if desired.
- Serve with additional fresh basil and enjoy!