Last weekend at the cabin, Marc and I took advantage of a drizzly afternoon to make some guacamole, a batch of from-scratch strawberry lime margaritas, and have a little Ticket To Ride battle. Have you ever played this game? Oh man is it fun. We were introduced to it by a group of friends and since receiving it as a wedding gift we’ve spent a handful of nights playing each other. I think it’s safe to say Marc can count the number of times he’s beat me on his thumb and index finger, so he was particularly happy when he came out victorious once more this weekend. So happy, in fact, that he didn’t even realize how wrong his Instagram caption sounded before he hit ‘Upload’.
We got a good laugh out of the response he got. I thought maybe it was the fact that I was two margaritas in that I found martinrob’s comment so funny, but even now it cracks me up. Marc just seems so excited that he ‘finally beat’ me.
The thing about these margaritas – they go down pret-ty darn easy. Like, too easy. They’re just so yummy! So yummy, in fact, that you should just forget pre-made margarita mixes ever even existed and make your own from now until eternity. The strawberry simple syrup is truly simple (ha.) to make and can definitely (and should) be made ahead of time, so it can be chilled. Aside from squeezing a few limes, all ya gotta do is measure, shake, and pour.
A note about the measuring: I used a scale to get my measurements exact, but you could also use a standard size shot glass, which can hold about 1.5 ounces. You don’t have to be super exact with the measurements, and if you ‘accidentally’ add a little more tequila than the recipe states, don’t worry, I won’t tell.
This recipe is perfect for the summer, when fresh strawberries are popping up everywhere and are so flavorful you could scream. That’s what makes these margaritas so delicious – the amazing strawberry flavor. Oh, and the tequila.
for the strawberry simple syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
for the margaritas:
- 4 oz Triple Sec
- 3 oz tequila
- 4 oz fresh squeezed lime juice approx. 2-3 juicy limes
- 6 oz strawberry simple syrup
- salt or sugar for the rim
- strawberries and lime wedges for garnish
for the simple syrup:
- Combine water and sugar in small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once sugar dissolves, remove from heat and cool completely.
- Once cooled, combine simple syrup with strawberries in blender and blend until combined.
- If desired, strain mixture over fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds. We didn't.
to make the margaritas:
- Take wedge of lime and rim the edge of glass, then dip in salt or sugar.
- In cocktail shaker, combine Triple sec, tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup with ice.
- Shake for a good 30-45 seconds.
- Pour into salt/sugar rimmed glass.
- Garnish with strawberries and lime wedge.