Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is like coffee cake and strawberry cheesecake had a really delicious baby. Go get yourself some!
Did you guys know that next week is Brunch Week? An entire seven days devoted to all of the brunch foods you could ever dream of. Brought to you by a bunch of food bloggers! It will almost be like we’re sitting around, sipping on Bloody Mary’s, and all eating brunch together every morning. Doesn’t that just sound like fun?
I originally made this recipe for coffee cake for Brunch Week but I just couldn’t wait to share it with you. Oh, that and the fact that third trimester is kicking my booty and I’ve been so. freaking. tired. lately and didn’t have anything else made to share with you for the rest of this week. But mostly because I couldn’t wait one more day to share it with you.
Because you guys, this strawberry cream cheese coffee cake is SO good. The cake is almond flavored and topped with a simple cream cheese layer. And THEN swirled with strawberry preserves, and thennnnn topped with a crumb topping.
It’s also super easy to make, as the crumb topping and the cake batter are made from the same mixture (explained in the directions). The strawberry-ness simply comes from strawberry preserves. Oh and don’t forget the cream cheese layer. It adds a richness to the cake that makes me never want to eat coffee cake without cream cheese ever again.
Did I mention the coffee cake itself has almond extract in it? I absolutely love almond-flavored cake (it was one of our wedding cake flavors!) so I take every opportunity I can to add it to baked goods. If you’re not a fan of the almond flavor, you could definitely omit it and use vanilla instead. And I’ll pretend you never told me you don’t like almond extract.
So what better way to get ready for Brunch Week than to eat brunch foods? Exactly.
If you’re looking for a yummy spring-time breakfast or brunch baked good – give this Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake a try! It quickly disappeared in our house!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter cold, cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- For the Cream Cheese Layer:
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- For the Strawberry Layer:
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves or jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat 9" round baking dish with cooking spray, and then coat with flour.
- In large food processor, combine flour, sugar, and butter chunks.
- Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove 1 cup of the mixture for the crumb topping.
- To the remaining mixture in the food processor, add baking powder, baking soda, salt, yogurt, almond extract, and egg.
- Process until batter is just combined and smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- To make the cream cheese layer:
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, and egg.
- Pour over batter and spread evenly.
- Spread strawberry preserves over cream cheese layer, then sprinkle with reserved crumb topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!