I had a new smoothie recipe for you today, anticipating that we all might need a healthy, hydrating smoothie after too much corned beef and green beer yesterday, but because of these brussels sprouts I had to stop the presses. Yes, because of brussels sprouts.
These aren’t just any brussels sprouts. Oh no. These are crispy roasted brussels sprouts tossed with sliced almonds in a warm sweet and spicy glaze made of Sriracha, honey, and soy sauce, and THEN topped with fresh chopped cilantro. Holy cow, these are not just any brussels sprouts. No siree, they are not.
The inspiration for these came from a new (to me) brewery near my hometown, which I ate at this weekend. I made a quick trip home this weekend to visit my grandma Esther who has been ill lately and in addition to a great few hours spent with her, I was also able to spend some time with the rest of my family. That’s how I ended up at the brewery and that is how fate led me to the brewery’s fried brussels sprouts with a spicy Sriracha glaze. Of course I had to recreate them the first chance I got.
I didn’t fry the brussels, but the roasting still got them nice and crispy and I totally nailed the glaze. So yes, these are STOP THE PRESSES good. They’re also ruin-your-dinner good, which seems like a strange thing to do with brussels sprouts but it happened. I couldn’t stop eating them! They’re also super simple and only have one more step than if you were to roast veggies. If you’re a fan of brussels sprouts in even the slightest way, you simply must try these.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
for the Sriracha honey glaze:
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha depending on how spicy you like it
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss brussels sprouts in olive oil and place on baking sheet. I line mine with aluminum foil.
- Roast in oven for 30-35 minutes, tossing after about 20 minutes.
- When brussels sprouts are done cooking, combine Sriracha, soy sauce, honey, and olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Once it is simmering, remove from heat add brussels sprouts and almonds and toss well to combine.
- Serve topped with cilantro.