Southwestern Stuffed Tomatoes are a delicious vegetarian and dairy-free dinner option that is full of fresh vegetables!
While I love the buzz of late spring farmers markets, I have to say my favorite time of the year to go is in the smack dab middle of the summer when produce is overflowing. These stuffed tomatoes are such a fun way to use fresh produce and I’m sure there are gorgeous tomatoes popping up in your farmers markets along with fresh sweet corn, peppers, and cilantro, making it easy to eat local.
This is another dish that I made with a GO Veggie! Cheese Alternative . I love that GO Veggie! offers so many varieties of their cheese alternatives – from cream cheese and slices to shredded cheese and grated Parmesan cheese. There are so many choices! Today I went with their Lactose-Free Cheddar Shreds to go along with the classic southwestern flavors.
We ate these stuffed tomatoes along with some cheese and crackers for a quick, easy, and delicious summer dinner. The filling is made up of sautéed onions, bell peppers, sweet corn, and black beans, along with some cumin, chili powder, and garlic. Topped with that Lactose-Free Cheddar Shreds, they were full of southwestern flavor!
While these were great for dinner, I think they’d also be cute little appetizers. Another fun thing about these tomatoes is that you can use different sized tomatoes for different purposes. Making them as a light summer meal? Use bigger tomatoes. Serving them as appetizers? Use smaller tomatoes, perhaps romas.
Not sure where to find GO Veggie! products? Check out their store locator here: GO Veggie! Store Locator.
- 10 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup GO Veggie! Cheddar shreds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13" casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using knife and spoon, core each tomato, scooping out all of the insides.
- In large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and peppers, sauteeing until they soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and salt.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes, until it warmed through. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into each tomato, depending on the size of your tomatoes.
- Top with about 1 tablespoon of cheese each.
- Place into prepared baking dish
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!