With two little boys who keep me beyond busy, I am particularly drawn towards recipes that give me the most bang for my time. As in, the ones that take me the least amount of time and get the most praise at the dinner table. Foil packet dinners are always winners when it comes to ease of cooking – it’s all cooked in the packets! The trick is getting everything to cook evenly and have it all taste delicious. I have to say – these Southwestern Chicken Foil Packets definitely do not disappoint!
Everything in these packets is not only cooked in the foil packet, but also prepped in one foil packet – I didn’t dirty any other dishes while making these! Seriously, I didn’t even mix together my spices in a bowl. I just sprinkled them on individually. This chicken is just THAT easy and fool-proof!
How to Make Southwestern Chicken Foil Packets?
Basically, you’re going to lay out a chicken breast, sliced bell peppers, red onion, black beans, and corn in a large piece of aluminum foil. Then you’ll sprinkle it with a bunch of tasty Southwestern-ish spices, some salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Then wrap ‘em up and they’re ready for the grill or campfire.
How Long Does it Take To Cook Southwestern Chicken Foil Packets?
These foil packets take about 25-30 minutes to cook, depending on the internal temperature of your grill. As always, I used a meat thermometer to keep track of the temperature of the chicken, ensuring they were cooked through before I removed them from the grill. Using a meat thermometer also keeps you from having to slice into the chicken to check on the doneness. I always thought that using a meat thermometer was a hassle until I realized that actually it makes cooking meat much simpler. No guessing or estimating!
These Southwestern Chicken Foil Packets are great for when you want an entire meal cooked on the grill, or when you need a meal idea for camping. They will be a crowd pleaser, for sure.
Southwestern Chicken Foil PacketsPrint Pin Rate
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro for topping
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut four large pieces of aluminum foil, which will be large enough to wrap the chicken and vegetables completely.
- Place each chicken breast in the middle of each of the foil pieces, and surround with ¼ of the sliced bell pepper, ¼ of the onion, ~¼ cup of black beans, and ½ cup of frozen corn.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle each packet the spice mixture, salt, and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the packets on the preheated grill and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees F. During the last approximately 5 minutes of cooking time, open each packet and sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese. Cover and continue the remainder of the cooking time.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro and enjoy!