Okay, hear me out. I agree that Snickers + apples might not be the likeliest of pairs (at least they weren’t in my mind) but really, why not? I would eat a caramel apple with a chocolate drizzle. I would definitely also eat apples and peanut butter. So why not buttery blondies filled with apples and Snickers (chocolate, caramel, and peanuts). Now are you on board? That’s what I thought 😉
I originally had the idea for these blondies because I wanted to create a fun apple blondie but with a unique twist. Then I remembered the beloved potluck dish that Midwesterners dare call a ‘salad’, known as Snickers Salad. No, there is no lettuce to be found in this salad but instead apples, Snickers, Cool Whip, and a packet of pudding. It’s one of those things that is so bad but so good.
These blondies, unlike the Snickers Salad, have no sort of identity crisis going on. They know they are buttery, sweet, and meant to be a treat. I wasn’t really sure how they would turn out, the combination of Snickers and apples in a blondie seemed like it could go either way, so I was stoked when they turned out delicious. Marc took these to work with him the next day and now he’s the nurses favorite doctor. Or at least that’s what I’m assuming, as he said one of the nurses told him ‘I love your wife’ every time she saw him that day.
With all of the pumpkin and apple desserts being shoved in our faces merely one day after Labor Day (though I’m totally guilty of pushing the pumpkin) these blondies feel like an appropriate transition into fall. They are subtly spiced from the cinnamon and apples, but overly so, and Snickers Salad always reminds me of summer. It’s like summer meets fall in a blondie. So if you’re on the brink of being excited about fall but not ready to say goodbye to summer, consider making these blondies to ease yourself into it!
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped Granny Smith apple peeled, about 1 medium apple
- 1 cup chopped Snickers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar.
- Beat with electric mixer with paddle attachment until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, stirring to combine.
- Add to butter mixture in large bowl, mixing to combine.
- With a spatula, fold in chopped apples and Snickers.
- Pour into prepared pan, spreading out evenly with spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 27-32 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!