Slow Cooker Turkey Chili is classic turkey chili recipe that is full of beans, lean turkey, and spices, is made in the slow cooker, and is perfect for a chilly fall evening!
There’s really nothing that I crave more once the weather starts turning cool than a big bowl of chili. I really love all kinds of soup, but there’s a special spot in my heart (stomach?) for chili. This Slow Cooker Turkey Chili is definitely one of those go-to recipes that you’ll be reaching for every September and every Sunday afternoon thereafter until the spring.
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
As I said, this turkey chili recipe is pretty basic, but there is one ingredient that may surprise you – baked beans! I love adding a can of baked beans to my chili for just a little bit of sweetness. Believe me – once you try it, you’ll never make chili without it again!
Along with the baked beans, there’s onion, red bell pepper, ground turkey, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Pinto beans, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika.
How to Make Turkey Chili
This recipe starts by sauteing the onion, red bell pepper, and ground turkey. I was able to do this in my slow cooker, as it has a brown/saute function, but you can also do it in a separate pan/pot if yours doesn’t.
After the turkey is cooked through, the garlic and spices get sauteed for a quick minute and then it all goes into the slow cooker, along with the beans and tomatoes.
The chili is cooked on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, which really helps develop all of the flavor in the chili.
How to Serve Turkey Chili
I topped our chili with shredded cheese, diced green onion, and Fritos. Yes, Fritos! Have you ever tried this? It’s my favorite. You could also do tortilla chips or serve it with cornbread. All solid choices. Other topping options include diced avocado, sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, and diced red onion!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 15 ounce canned kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce canned Pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce baked beans
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- If your slow cooker has a brown/saute function, turn it on. Otherwise, heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil to the slow cooker or pan, along with the onion, red bell pepper, and ground turkey.
- Cook until the onions and red bell pepper are softened, and the turkey is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt, and cook another minute.
- If cooking on the stovetop, transfer onion/turkey mixture to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, diced green onion, and sour cream/Greek yogurt.