In my perfect world, I would have a crock pot of this breakfast casserole hot and ready for me every single morning. Also in this so-called perfect world, I would wake up at 6:30 every morning without an alarm, be greeted by a cup of coffee from the cutest guy I know (Marc), and leisurely make my way downstairs still in my pajamas to my piping hot breakfast casserole. Doesn’t that just sound delightful?!
Back to reality, now. If I can’t have an alarm-free and coffee-in-bed morning every day, at the very least I can have this breakfast casserole whenever I want. This isn’t one of those breakfast casseroles full of bread and heavy cream that I make for company so I don’t have a weeks worth of leftovers. No siree. This is full of diced potatoes, onions, bell peppers, chorizo, eggs, and cheese. Not too shabby, right?
Even better, I used a combination GO Veggie! Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds and GO Veggie! Lactose Free Monterey Jack & Cheddar Shreds, and since cholesterol free, I can feel even better about eating this every day. Just don’t forget the cheese because you guys, a whole package goes in this baby.
Instead of using hash browns, like many breakfast casseroles do, I decided to use some frozen diced potatoes instead. Either would work in this situation, but I liked the chunks of potatoes opposed to the shredded hash browns.
One last thing – right after I finished taking photos of this I went back into the kitchen only to realize I forgot to put the salsa on top for the pictures. Doh! I was just too hungry to re-shoot it with the salsa but I’m telling you – don’t leave off the salsa! It was a great addition on top.
- 1.5 lb chorizo
- 4 cups frozen diced potatoes
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 package GO Veggie! Lactose Free Cheddar Cheese or Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup soy milk unsweetened plain
- 1 tsp salt
- salsa for topping
- chopped cilantro for topping
- diced green onion for topping
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- In large slow cooker, add potatoes, onion, bell pepper, and cooked chorizo.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and salt. Stir in cheese.
- Pour egg mixture into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Cut into squares and top with cilantro, green onion, and salsa.