Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Meatball Subs are made with delicious homemade chicken meatballs, in the slow cooker, and topped with marinara and cheese!
When your one-year old eats more Chicken Parmesan Meatballs than you thought was possible for their little tummy, you know they’re good! Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Meatball Subs are the perfect meal to have in the slow cooker, waiting for you when you get home from work.
I’m writing this the day before we leave on vacation which means our fridge and pantry are pretty slim pickin’s so my lunch today was pretty sad. And it’s 2:30 and I am already hangry. Not a good place I’m in right now, friends.
Because not only am I ready to hurt someone for a snack (I swear – I’m not an angry/violent person!), I’m looking at these Chicken Parmesan meatball subs which were seriously SO good that Marc and Lars fought over the last serving. Well, not really but I had Lars try them and he loved them so much that he ended up eating two whole meatballs. Two meatballs for one little (but growing!) belly. I think he has an appetite like his parents 🙂
FYI: I have salt included in the recipe but I actually didn’t add any until they were done cooking and just added it to the ones Marc and I ate after they were cooked.
These Chicken Parmesan Meatballs were super delish as a sub with melted mozzarella on top, but were also reeeeeeally good on top of spaghetti squash with extra marinara. Just sayin’.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
So here’s the deal with the process of making these meatballs. First, you obviously mix all the meatball ingredients together. Then, while I HATEHATEHATE slow cooker recipes that have pre-slow cooker steps like browning meat or sauteeing vegetables, I have to say – it’s just necessary in this one. You have to brown the meatballs so they don’t fall apart in the slow cooker. You don’t want soggy meatballs do you?
I didn’t think so.
Other than that, the meatball portion of this recipe is quite easy. You just put them in the slow cooker and let them go for a few hours.
Then to assemble, you put them on a hoagie bun, top with alllllllll the cheese, broil it until melty and golden, and then devour. SO good, you guys!
Like this recipe? Check these out too!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced
- 5 hoagie buns
- fresh basil chopped, for topping
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, cream/milk, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Shape into approximately 1-inch meatballs. You should have about 15 meatballs, give or take a couple.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add meatballs, spacing at least 1" apart. You will probably have to do this in batches (it took me two batches).
- Cook for 1 minute, until slightly golden, then flip and cook the other side for another minute. You only really need to do this on two sides.
- Place browned meatballs in slow cooker.
- Top with marinara sauce then cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Once meatballs are finished cooking, preheat broiler.
- Place 2-3 meatballs onto each hoagie bun, depending on the size of your buns and your meatballs, then top with mozzarella cheese slices.
- Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is golden.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!