Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings is quick and easy comfort food at its finest!
While I’m not mad about this last little stretch of warm weather we’ve been having this week in Minnesota (hellooooo 80 degrees!), I’m completely into the fall and winter comfort foods. Like I’m completely over grilling and fresh tomato salads, and am all about the creamy soups, cheesy casseroles, and hearty stews.
It’s pretty evident on here too, as my last three recipes have been squash, pumpkin, and soup. Really, fall is just my absolute favorite time of year and I want to stretch it out as much as I can. Hopefully you guys aren’t minding all of the slow cooker/soup/stew/casserole recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings is Comfort Food!
Which leads me to this incredibly delicious, comforting, and hearty dish – Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings! I don’t think many other dishes scream ‘comfort food’ quite like chicken and dumplings, with it’s creamy base, hearty vegetables, and doughy dumplings.
It really was like a big hug coming home to a slow cooker of this at the end of the day.
While this recipe is pretty straight forward, there is one ingredient that you don’t see often (or ever?) here on greens & chocolate, which is condensed cream of chicken soup. The main reasons are that condensed soups are typically full of sodium, lots of ingredients, and BPA in the cans.
However, I really do think that everything is reasonable in moderation. And since using condensed soup is such a great shortcut in many recipes, I just make sure to try to and buy an organic boxed brand (no BPA, no GMOs, reasonable sodium) when I do use them.
With the use of condensed soup in this recipe, it is SUPER easy to throw together. You just put your chicken, veggies, herbs, and condensed soup in your slow cooker and let it cook all day on low. Then about an hour before you’re ready to eat, add in some cut in refrigerated biscuits (I like Annie’s brand!), let it cook another hour, and that’s it! Dinner is served.
Slow Cooker Chicken and DumplingsPrint Rate
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables I used a mix that had corn, peas, carrots, and green beans
- 1 white onion diced
- 6 small red new potatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 12 ounceboxes/cans condensed cream of chicken soup (I used Pacific Foods brand)
- 2 cups chicken broth water would also work
- salt to taste
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits I used Annie's Organic Flaky Biscuits, cut into small pieces
- fresh parsley for topping
- In a large slow cooker, add chicken, mixed veggies, onion, new potatoes, dill, bay leaf, cream of chicken soup, and chicken broth/water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken with a couple of forks.
- Add refrigerated biscuits and stir to combine with the chicken mixture.
- Cook another hour on high.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley.