Let the slow cooker do the work! These Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Burrito Bowls are just like Chipotle – except better!
While I try to use my slow cooker year round, I feel like the fall and winter seasons are particularly ideal times to set it and forget it. There’s not much better than coming home on a dark and chilly evening to dinner already made.
You might think of pot roasts and soups when you think of slow cooker recipes, but I’m switching things up today! A Mexican spiced beef that is slow cooked until it is so tender it falls apart with just a couple of forks.
Copy Cat Recipe for Chipotle’s Barbacoa Beef
But first, have you ever heard of Barbacoa Beef? I first tried it at Chipotle and was hooked on the smoky and spicy flavors and tender beef. I’m usually more of a chicken burrito girl but this beef beats chicken every single time we go.
Since I get a kick out of making restaurant meals at home, I made it a mission to recreate Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Burrito Bowls in my own kitchen. The result? Even better. And as a bonus, this makes a lot of beef so unless you’re feeding a family of 8 (which, maybe you are..) you’re bound to have leftovers.
Since I love burrito bowls, that’s what we used this barbacoa beef for and that’s what the recipe below instructs. However, you could also use the beef in tacos, burritos, a salad, or even enchiladas.
Make Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Burrito Bowls Easier Weeknight Dinner
If you want to make this an even easier weeknight dinner, I would recommend cooking the rice and prepping the rest of the toppings ahead of time. This way you don’t have to wait the 20 minutes for rice to cook.
Even if you don’t do this, these burrito bowls come together in a snap once the beef is done. Just assemble the rice with all the goodies like corn, black beans, salsa, and guacamole and top with that deliciously spiced beef, sour cream, cheese, and cilantro. It’s like Chipotle, but WAY better.
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Burrito BowlsPrint Rate
For the barbacoa beef:
- 3-4 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 chipotles en adobo sauce plus 1 tablespoon of the liquid from the can
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
For burrito bowls:
- Black Beans
- Guacamole or avocado
- Sour Cream/Plain Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Combine chipotles, chipotle sauce from the can, cumin, apple cider vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, and onion in a food processor or blender and puree.
- Place chuck roast in slow cooker and top with sauce from food processor.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours, until beef shreds easily.
- To assemble burrito bowls, place your desired amount of burrito bowl ingredients in a bowl and top with the barbacoa beef.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or on the image below to pin this Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Burrito Bowls recipe for later!