Button mushrooms are stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage, garlic, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese for a delicious and easy holiday appetizer!
A couple of weeks ago I had a big cooking and photoshoot day where I made six holiday appetizers. I must have been craving mushrooms because three of the six appetizers were mushroom-centric.
Unfortunately, only one of the appetizers was a winner, and that’s these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms! I mean, how can you really go wrong with Italian sausage, cream cheese, Parmesan, and mushrooms? YUM!
For some reason I thought the process of removing the mushroom stems and stuffing the mushrooms was going to be complicated, but it was not at all.
Turns out, the stems of mushrooms are actually pretty easy to just pop off. I thought it would be like when you stuff a portobello and you have to use a spoon to scoop all of the stuff out. Nope. Just pop it off and you’re good to go.
The filling of these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms is simply Italian sausage (you can do mild or hot), onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
This holiday appetizer would be really easy to prep a couple of hours in advance and then pop in the oven a half hour before you need them. They are even tasty warm and at room temperature.
Either way – your guests with love these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms!
Looking for other holiday appetizer ideas? Check these out!
- 24 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley for topping
- Pop off the stem of each mushroom and place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, cook Italian sausage, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Remove sausage from skillet but reserve the grease for cooking the onion.
- Using the grease from the sausage, cook the onion until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt, and cook one more minute.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, onion mixture, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese and mix well until combined.
- Stuff each mushroom with a tablespoon or two of the mixture, trying to make a rounded mound on top to get as much into each mushroom.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
- Serve topped with chopped parsley.