Sausage Pepper Rice Skillet is an easy and delicious one skillet meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner!
I love a good one skillet meal and this Sausage and Pepper Rice Skillet is just that – a healthy and delicious weeknight meal that the family will be sure to love! And since it is cooked in only one skillet, that means less cleanup – a winner for sure!
Ingredients in Sausage Pepper Rice Skillet
This skillet has pretty basic ingredients that combine to make one amazing dish. First, there’s the vegetables – white onion, red bell pepper, and orange bell pepper. You can use yellow or green bell peppers too, if you prefer.
Then there’s the sausage. I used a smoked sausage but kielbasa or chicken sausage would also work great in this dish. Next, there’s the spices – garlic, smoked paprika, and dried oregano. Lastly, there’s tomato sauce, rice, and chicken broth. I topped it off with some fresh parsley which added a bit of freshness that I loved!
How to Make Sausage Pepper Rice Skillet
As I mentioned, this dish is super easy to make. First, you’ll saute the vegetables and sausage until the vegetables are softened and the sausage is browned. Next, you’ll add the garlic and spices, followed shortly by the tomato sauce, rice, and vegetable broth. Everything is simmered for about 25 minutes, until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid and is soft and ready to eat. See? So easy!
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Sausage Pepper Rice Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper diced
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces could also use chicken sausage, or any kind of cooked sausage that you like!
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper depending on spice preference
- 1 tsp salt
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- chopped fresh parsley for serving
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, peppers and sausage, and cook until the peppers are softened and sausage is browned, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the garlic, spices, and salt and cook another minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, rice, and broth, and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover, cooking until the rice is soft and liquid has been absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Be sure to stir every once in awhile to make sure the rice isn't getting burned on the bottom.
- Top with chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!