Soo I’m switching things up a bit today. I’m posting a Simple Saturday recipe today and a “Hooray it’s Friday Let’s Eat Cookies!” cookie recipe tomorrow. I knowwww it’s not very nice of me to make you wait for the cookies but I promise – this pasta dish is worth it.
Because let’s face it, this time of year begs for quick easy and delicious meals, right? At least I know that personally, during this time of year, I’m always looking for quick weeknight meals that I can make after yet another trip to the mall for holiday shopping or an evening broomball game. Somehow every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the time seems to fly (is Christmas really in SIX DAYS?!?!), and the days are jam packed with things to do and people to see. Plus don’t the nights just seem so much shorter when it gets dark at 5:00?! Even on nights that I don’t have anything going on, I’m in my PJ’s within 15 minutes of getting home. I can’t be the only one who does this. Fess up.
Anyways, back to the food. This Sausage and Kale Pasta with Feta Sauce was exactly what we needed on a busy weeknight recently. It took less than 30 minutes to whip up and was everything I want in a dinner – filling, delicious, healthy (there’s kale!), and satisfying.
The sauce is made with Philia Food’s Savory Feta Spread, which is a local Minnesota product and has a blend of basil and rosemary in it, but I think any of their fun flavors would work. If you, by chance, don’t live in Minnesota 1) come visit! 2) you could make your own “feta spread” by putting an 8 oz container of feta in the food processor along with a couple splashes of cream or milk, and some dried herbs, and there you have it. Delicious, tangy feta spread!
For the pasta I also cooked up Italian sausage for more flavor and kale because I love my pasta to have some sort of green or vegetable in it. I used spaghetti quinoa noodles, but you can use whatever your favorite pasta happens to be.
However you make it, this iso sure to be a hit with your family – it definitely was with mine. Okay now I promise – cookies tomorrow!
Sausage and Kale Pasta with Feta Sauce
- 1 lb Italian sausage links casings removed
- 3 large kale leaves leaves removed from stem and roughly chopped
- 1 lb spaghetti pasta or your favorite pasta shape
- 8 oz container Philia Savory Feta Spread OR 4 oz container crumbled feta cheese, 1/4 cup cream or milk, 1/4 tsp dried rosemary, 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- Bring large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Once boiling, cook according to pasta package.
- Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing, and cook in large skillet, breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Remove from skillet, and set aside on a plate lined with paper towel, to soak up grease.
- Keep a little of the sausage grease in the pan, and sauté the kale over medium high heat until slightly wilted, just a couple of minutes.
- Combine feta spread (or crumbled feta + herbs+ extra milk) and cream/milk in medium bowl, whisking until combined.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water, then return pasta to pot.
- Add feta sauce, tossing to combine.
- Add pasta water, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, to thin out the sauce a bit. I used 1/2 cup total.
- Add sausage and kale to pasta, and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.