Okay, I’m trying really, really hard to come up with an interesting and witty blog post. I really am. But the thing is, I’m distracted. By the season finale of New Girl. I’m not sure why, but I feel a little embarrassed to admit to watching this show but seriously, could Zooey Deschanel be any more adorable? So since I’m having a sitcom-induced writers block, let’s just get to the food, shall we?
These bars are chewy, salty, caramel-y, chocolate-y bars of deliciousness. They’re essentially the best chocolate chip cookie recipe made into bar form, with salted caramel swirled into it. Mmm hmmm. It’s got that whole salty-sweet thing going on that I don’t think I will ever in my entire life get sick of.
I adapted this recipe from Brown Eyed Baker, but instead of making caramel sauce from caramels and heavy cream, I simply bought the Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce from Trader Joe’s. Cutting out the step of making the caramel sauce makes these bars even easier and quicker to make? Dangerous.
Marc and I both agreed that these bars are best slightly warm, either after cooling straight from the oven for 30 minutes, or heating in the microwave for a few seconds. Speaking of, it’s a commercial break. Time to heat up one of these babies and get back to Zooey.
salted caramel chocolate chip cookie barsPrint Rate
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- sea salt for sprinkling over caramel and bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease 9x9" square pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, beat together melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with electric mixer until combined.
- Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Slowly add flour mixture on low, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press half of the cookie dough into prepared pan.
- Heat caramel sauce in microwave for 30-45 seconds, then pour caramel over the cookie dough and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Drop remaining cookie dough over the caramel, then press down to cover caramel.
- Sprinkle with additional sea salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown and the edges begin to pull away from the edge. It may still seem jiggly.
- Cool completely. Cut into squares and enjoy!