This Salami Mac and Cheese Is Delicious!
The salami and roasted red pepper add a ton of flavor to the macaroni and cheese. So I was happy I stuck with a somewhat mild white cheddar cheese to balance it out. I also added a few handfuls of spinach and as I was stirring it all together I realized what a pretty dish this would be for Christmas, with the green spinach and red roasted peppers.
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 12 oz salami cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers diced
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat medium pot of water over high heat and bring to boil. Cook pasta according to package, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add salami, and cook until it begins to release its oils.
- Add roasted red pepper and spinach, and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and place on plate lined with paper towels to get rid of excess liquid/grease.
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium heat.
- Season with salt.
- Add flour, stirring to create a roux. Let cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, so milk and flour become incorporated.
- Once all of the milk is added, stir in cheese until melted.
- Combine cheese sauce with cooked macaroni, salami, red pepper, and spinach.
- Stir well to combine.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Combine panko bread crumbs and melted butter, stirring until combined.
- Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.
- If breadcrumbs are not golden, turn on broiler for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully so they do not burn.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then dig in!
This Salami Mac and Cheese with Roasted Red Pepper post is sponsored by Lund’s and Byerly’s through an ongoing brand partnership. All opinions are my own.
P.S. Find some recipes for inspiration on my “greens & chocolate” Pinterest board. And also, I’ve got some delicious recipes waiting for you on my blog, too: