You didn’t think I was going to show you that stew on Monday with the yummy looking loaf of carbs next to it and not share the recipe, did you?! No I wouldn’t do that. Especially since one of the main purposes of soup is to be sopped up with bread, amiright? Mmm hmm.
What goes better with soup than a big slice of bread to dunk in it? Seriously, think of all the times you order or make soup – bread is served with it. It’s like an unwritten rule that I’m now writing down so it’s an official food rule now.
ESPECIALLY if it’s this beer bread. This is no ordinary beer bread, after all. For starters, it’s quick (no yeast rising here!), delicious, and duh – carbs. But THENNNNN I went and added some garlic (or gahhhhlick as I like to say), rosemary, and Havarti cheese. So, so good.
So whether you’ve got my Butternut Squash, Quinoa, and Swiss Chard on the menu for this weekend, or you’re whipping up a batch of Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (I’m on a squash kick if ya couldn’t tell), you cannot, I repeat CANNOT forget the bread! And wontcha look at that? I made you bread. 🙂
Oh and p.s. if you’re here looking for that big bowl of yum that I posted on Instagram yesterday and promised to post today, check back on Friday.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 oz beer I used a pale ale
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese asiago or gouda would work well, too
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- sprig of rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x5" bread pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and rosemary and stir well.
- Add beer, honey, and garlic, and stir until just combined.
- Fold in cheese with spatula.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Place sprig of rosemary in center of batter, if desired.
- Pour melted butter over top of the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, until top is golden and tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy!