Tomorrow we are heading west to Seattle for 9 glorious days! Marc’s sister is getting married so we have that to look forward to along with a few days of camping afterwards. Yep that’s right – we’re camping with a 1 year old.
Believe it or not, that’s actually not even my biggest worry of the trip. What I’m concerned about is the flight.
I mean, a 3 1/2 hour flight with a 13 month old definitely qualifies as some form of torture, for us and everyone around us, and it’s not just any 13 month old, but my never-sits-still-never-sits-on-laps 13 month old.
I feel a little prepared in that this isn’t his first flight – it’s actually his fifth trip that we’ve flown with him. However, it’s not the sort of thing where his experience as a 4 month old has prepared subsequent flights. It actually just keeps getting more difficult because whereas before he would sleep most of the flight and then just be content being held, now I’m concerned that he won’t sleep one bit and won’t want to sit still on our laps for more than two seconds.
My solution? Snacks. Lots of snacks.
I’m quickly realizing that Lars is much more of a snacker than a meal eater. It seems he would rather graze throughout the day than sit down and eat a full meal. With a dad who’s Fantasy Football League name is “Snackin’ N Slackin'”, this isn’t surprising.
While I’m sure at some point I’ll shove a bag of Gold Fish/Cheez-Its in his lap and call it his snack, I wanted to start him out on a more wholesome version by making cheese crackers myself. It ended up being so easy and tasty (I had my fair share of them too!) that I’ve made them a couple of times now, and I’m pretty sure he’s not going to accept the boxed stuff after he’s had these.
I can’t blame him – these crackers are addicting! I added rosemary since I had some in my herb garden (but it’s slowly dying – wahhh!) and it was a great combination with the white cheddar.
So – any traveling tips for me? Aside from snacks, I have lots of new toys, games, and things to keep us occupied but I’d love some advice!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cold, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse until well combined and dough forms.
- Roll out dough and slice into desired shape, using cookie cutters, a knife, or a pizza cutter.
- Place crackers onto parchment-lined baking sheets and poke a couple of holes into them with a toothpick. This keeps the crackers from puffing too much.
- Bake in preheated oven 13-16 minutes, depending on the size of your crackers. Once you see the edges of your crackers starting to brown, take them out.
- Let cool.
- Store in airtight container. These freeze well, too.