A hearty and healthy vegetarian egg strata filled with roasted vegetables and cheese! It is perfect for a weekend brunch or to make and meal prep for breakfasts throughout the week.
It’s too bad I made this Roasted Vegetable Strata a couple of weeks ago – because I could definitely go for a plate of this hearty and healthy strata for breakfast today!
I made this a couple of weekends ago when we were up at the cabin. Typically when we are at the cabin we cook a substantial breakfast and either snack for lunch or don’t think much of it since we’re still full from breakfast. This makes happy hour with cheese and crackers much more appealing around 5:00, too 🙂
Since that weekend we were fueling up for an afternoon of cross-country skiing, I wanted to make something with some healthy fueling power, so I whipped up this roasted veggie strata.
Ingredients in Roasted Vegetable Strata
This strata recipe is, not surprisingly, full of vegetables! I used sweet potatoes, onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, and kale, and roasted them with Herbs de Provence. Then you just toss them together with bread, eggs, milk, and cheese and bake until perfectly golden brown.
Truth is, I wasn’t sure if I was going to blog about it. I feel like a recipe for strata is just a starting point. You just need the right proportions of leftover bread, eggs, and milk, and then you throw in whatever veggies and meat sound good, top it with cheese and call it a meal.
But then it came out of the oven and it was just so pretty! The colors from the veggies and the perfectly golden cheese. I just had to share it with you! Not only is it pretty but it is dang delicious, too. That is, if you like vegetables. And it’s no secret that I loooooove vegetables.
Vegetable Strata is Adaptable
And like I said – stratas are adaptable. You want meat in it? Add bacon! Hate mushrooms? Keep ’em outta there! Have a half bag of cheddar cheese and half bag of pepper jack? Toss it all in!
If you happen to be looking for a stellar breakfast or brunch recipe and just want someone to tell you what to make – MAKE THIS! It’s the perfect combination of hearty, healthy, and delicious and you will love it. I can’t wait to make it again!
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Check these out:
Roasted Vegetable Strata
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence
- 2 small or 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced into 1/2" pieces
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups kale roughly chopped
- 6 cups bread cut into 1 1/2" cubes
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place sweet potatoes, onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms on 2 large baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with Herbes de Provence and stir well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Add kale to baking sheets, tossing to combine with olive oil (drizzle with a little more, if needed) and roast another 10 minutes.
- Once veggies are roasted, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9 X 13 baking dish or equally large casserole dish.
- Toss together the vegetables with the bread cubes.
- Place bread/veggie mixture in baking dish.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Pour it over the bread and veggies.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake for 45-50 minutes, until top is golden and center is set.
- Serve and enjoy!
- *Note: You can roast the vegetables a day in advance. You can also prepare the entire strata a day in advance, you will just need to add ~10 minutes to the baking time if you put it in the oven straight from the refrigerator.