Roasted tomatoes, leeks, and carrots, give this Roasted Vegetable Soup so much flavor! A cozy and vegetarian soup that is great for a rainy afternoon or winter evening.
A chilly winter evening always has me craving comfort food and the other night I was craving a grilled cheese and tomato soup dinner. Anyone else grow up eating that combo?! I decided to take the soup up a notch by adding more vegetables and roasting them for this Roasted Vegetable Soup.
This is not your typical bland vegetable soup! The vegetables used for this vegetarian soup are tomatoes, leeks, and carrots and they are roasted, which really brings out their flavors. The roasted veggies are pureed and combined with some chicken broth and a dash of cream and the end result is a creamy bowl of comfort!
Ingredients in Roasted Vegetable Soup
Tomatoes – you can really use any kind of tomato. I used medium-sized vine-on tomatoes but Roma, beefsteak, heirloom, really any kind would work! I wouldn’t recommend using canned tomatoes since the tomatoes are roasted, but if you’re in a pinch you could a couple of cans of fire-roasted tomatoes and skip roasting them.
Carrots, Leeks, and Garlic – allare roasted, along with the tomatoes, to maximize their flavor!
Olive Oil – the vegetables are tossed in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper prior to being roasted.
Vegetable Broth – used to keep this soup vegetarian, but you could also use chicken broth if that’s what you have.
Whipping Cream – I add about 1/4-1/2 cup for some extra creaminess.
Fresh Basil – I absolutely love the flavor of basil and it is perfect in this soup! In the winter when fresh basil is more expensive and less available, I use this fresh basil paste to add the fresh basil flavor! You could also use pesto if that’s what you have on hand.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 6-8 medium to large tomatoes
- 2 leeks, cut into 1/2″ pieces, washed and drained
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth chicken broth works, too
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil (or 2-3 tbsp pesto)
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the tomatoes, leeks, and carrots with olive oil and garlic, and put onto baking sheet or roasting pan. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast until the vegetables are very tender, about 40-50 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a large soup pot, add the vegetable broth and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and basil, and puree mixture with immersion blender. Puree until desired consistency.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with more basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve with croutons, toasted baguette, or sandwich.