It’s becoming quite apparent that I don’t do well with change. You may remember a post a couple of years ago where I talk about having an emotional breakdown resulting from a combination of moving to Minnesota, studying for boards, and missing my friends. Now THAT was a lot of change and stress for a girl in a short amount of time. While I haven’t had quite that much change in the past month, I did quit my first job of my career and start a new in a completely different setting. Leaving my job was a lot harder than I thought it would be and my new job has me pretty stressed out. Read: wine has been needed and tears have been shed. Side note: my husband gives the best hugs and advice.
While I hadn’t anticipated such a difficult transition, I knew I wouldn’t be cooking much this week since I’d be consumed by work. I made this curry on Sunday night to get me through the week. It is exactly what I have needed this week. I’ve brought it for lunch every day, making for a delicious and filling meal, and it’s also made for a good conversation starter in the break room as it’s quite fragrant from the curry paste.
I love all of the textures going on in this dish: the soft red lentils and sweet potatoes, the crunchy vegetables, and the tofu…well, you know the texture of tofu. You could swap the tofu for chicken, or just pack it with more veggies. This curry would be delicious with some naan but I’ve been pouring it over fluffy rice, which is perfect for soaking up all of the delicious curry broth. If you’re a fan of spice, I would recommended adding a few dashes of Sriracha but since I’m a wimp I kept it on the mild side.
The great thing about lentils is that they cook incredibly fast. This dish requires only 20 minutes of simmering to cook the lentils, which means the entire pot of curry yumminess is done in 45 minutes, max. This dish is also very adaptable, and you could use whatever veggies you like. I used corn, snow peas, and sweet potatoes but other ideas are broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red potatoes, bok choy, and asparagus.
Like this post? Then you’ll love these, too:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or canola oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 " knob of ginger minced
- 1 small jar of Thai Red Curry Paste about 1/4 cup
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas sliced
- 1 block firm tofu pressed and cut into 1" pieces
- Sriracha if desired
- cilantro for topping
- In large dutch oven or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, cooking until almost translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cooking another minute.
- Add Thai red curry paste, stirring in for 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, broth, coconut milk, veggies, and tofu.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt, to taste
- Serve on top of rice, topped with cilantro.