Lightly sweetened Orange Raspberry Muffins are lightened up with reduced sugar and white whole wheat flour for a wholesome breakfast treat or snack!
Life got busy last week and I wasn’t able to get this last “muffin week” recipe posted! Between buying a new car during what’s usually my work hours, a short week because of Marc’s annual ski race, life was just a little crazy. Regardless, I can’t wait to share this Raspberry Orange Muffin recipe with you!
These orange muffins, like my Whole Wheat Lemon Muffins, are such a bright and cheery treat to start off your morning! The orange zest adds so much flavor to these muffins and the bites raspberries are pure perfection.
Ingredients in Raspberry Orange Muffins
Sugar – reduced from the usual 3/4 to 1 cup in a muffin recipe to 1/2 cup, makes these lightly sweet but not overly so!
Canola Oil – I love using canola oil for a tender muffin.
Orange Zest – gives these muffins their orange flavor!
White Whole Wheat Flour – for some whole grains!
Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt
These muffins are pretty simple to whip up. They require one bowl and just a little bit of whisking and mixing.
First, you whisk together the buttermilk, oil, sugar, zest, egg, and vanilla. Then add in the dry ingredients – white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Lastly, fold in the raspberries. I used fresh raspberries but you can definitely use frozen if you’d like!
After a quick 18-20 minutes in the oven, these muffins are perfectly golden and absolutely delicious eaten warm from the oven. I love mine with a pat of butter on top, while Lars likes his with some extra raspberry jam!
However you eat them, they are delicious. They were great for a quick breakfast and after school snack.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Raspberry Lemon Muffins from The Food Charlatan
Raspberry Orange Muffins
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray, or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir until combined with a spatula.
- Fold in the raspberries.
- Divide evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffin pan for about 10 minutes and then cool completely on a cooling rack.