If you can imagine a crazy woman (probably with her coat still on), rushing around her kitchen to make dinner, then you get a pretty good idea of what my every night looks like. On a good night I get home around 6 but most nights when I go to the gym after work it’s after 7 that I get home. That gives me approximately 18.4 minutes to make dinner and eat before I’m likely to have a meltdown from hangriness.
This has gotten even worse lately because I haven’t been much into afternoon snacking. I get so hungry for lunch that I eat a monster-sized lunch and don’t feel hungry for hours. Then I get home, make a mess in my kitchen, eat a ton more, and get that fun pregnancy heartburn. It’s a joy.
SO when I get home and need dinner like fifteen minutes ago, I need a meal that is quick and easy to make. Enter: taco salads. A.k.a. my fallback weekday meal. It’s pretty much just an entire taco with extra lettuce, all chopped up, on a plate. I don’t even make any fancy dressing for it – just salsa and sour cream. But I’m telling you – this is one of both Marc and I’s favorite dinners. Every time I make it, I wonder why I don’t make it every night. It’s easy, filling, you guys – it’s so customizeable!
Some nights I add a ton of cheese on top and skip the avocado. Sometimes I use taco chicken instead of ground beef. I’ve also been known to add black beans and leftover rice or quinoa, too. So many options.
Best yet – this meal is 100% Simple Saturday approved. The ingredient list might be a bit longer but promise – these will take no longer than 30 minutes. You can also use a packet of taco seasoning for the beef, but I typically forget to buy one so I’ll just make my own taco seasoning.
Other tips on making this a quicker dinner:
- Chopping up your veggies the night before.
- Use pre-made guacamole instead of avocado to cut down on that prep time.
- Use bagged romaine instead of chopping your own
Like this recipe? Then you’ll love these, too:
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
Fish Tacos with Avocado and Corn Salsa
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to mato diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup corn I used frozen and just heated it in the microwave for 2 minutes
- salsa for topping
- sour cream for topping
- tortilla chips crushed for topping
- green onions for topping
- shredded Cheddar cheese for topping
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce you can use bagged or chop your own
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef.
- Cook, breaking into small pieces, until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, you can cut up the tomatoes and avocado and crush the tortilla chips.
- Once beef is cooked, add the seasonings and stir to evenly distribute.
- Place 2 cups of lettuce onto each plate, then top with ~1/2 cup beef, tomatoes, avocado, corn, salsa, sour cream, tortilla chips, and green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!