Pumpkin waffles are a delicious autumn weekend breakfast treat! This pumpkin waffles recipe has a super fluffy but crispy texture and is topped with a delectable cream cheese drizzle!
As if the world needs another pumpkin waffles recipe, here I am shoving more pumpkin in your face. BUT! You all clearly and loudly voice your love for pumpkin goods in every shape and form so you did sort of ask for it.
While my Overnight Pumpkin Oats are a more every-day breakfast, these Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Glaze lean slightly more towards the more indulgent weekend breakfast. One, because they take a little more time to make than overnight oats, and also because – pumpkin waffles and cream cheese glaze don’t exactly boast the nutritional stats like overnight oats.
HOW-EV-ERRRRRR, these pumpkin waffles aren’t completely terrible for you. For one, I used white whole wheat flour. I love using white whole wheat flour because it has the benefits of wheat flour, but still yields a lighter end product than using whole wheat flour.
Second, this pumpkin waffles recipe is dairy free. I replaced the buttermilk/whole milk in typical waffle recipes with almond milk, and instead of melted butter I used coconut oil. The cream cheese glaze is made with GO Veggie! plain cream cheese which has four times more calcium than regular cream cheese, along with fewer calories and fat, and absolutely no cholesterol. So our bellies think we’re indulging, but really we know these waffles are healthier than your average waffle.
One last thing – I loathe floppy homemade waffles that are so unlike the the light and crispy restaurant waffles, they’re not even worth the time. The addition of the whipped egg whites in this pumpkin waffles recipe takes care of that problem. I did, however, notice that if I cooked my pumpkin waffles on the “light” setting, they did not get nearly as crispy as when I had it on the “dark” setting, so keep that in mind when cooking your pumpkin waffles.
for the waffles:
- 3 egg whites + 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 4 tbsp coconut oil melted (or vegetable oil would work, too)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
for the cream cheese glaze:
- 8 oz GO Veggie! plain cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ~1/2 cup almond milk
To make the waffles:
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together milk, coconut oil, egg yolk, and pumpkin puree.
- Add to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in egg whites gently, until combined.
- Use in waffle maker to make waffles.
To make the glaze:
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese for 1 minute.
- Add powdered sugar and cinnamon and beat to combine.
- Slowly add the milk, adding until desired consistency is achieved. You may need more/less depending on how thick or thin you want it.
- Drizzle glaze over cooked waffles.