Pumpkin Swirled Brownies are a fun fall treat combining two of the greatest things ever – pumpkin and chocolate! They are are bursting with pumpkin spice flavors as well as dark, rich chocolate.
It dawned on me that I’ve had far too many dinner recipes on here lately, and too few dessert recipes. Granted, this summer I really didn’t do much baking. We were busy. It was hot. Baking just didn’t sound appealing most of the time. Ice cream, however, was a different story.
Now that I’m ready to turn the oven back on and whip up some goodies, I figured I’d start with something extra delicious. Pumpkin Swirled Brownies. Oh. Em. Gee.
I’m not sure exactly where I had the thought to swirl pumpkin cookie batter into brownie dough, but I kind of don’t even care anymore. I’ve made these a few times and every time I love them even more.
But can I tell you a secret? I kind of used a boxed brownie mix. GAH don’t hate me! I mean, I’m not ashamed that I keep a box of brownie mix in my cupboard at all times for emergencies. However, I usually keep things from-scratch on here.
The thing is, when you’re making two different batters/doughs for one recipe, it’s kind of nice to have one of them be a no-brainer. So you’re welcome. And if you’d like, you can always use your favorite brownie recipe if you’d prefer! More power to ya, girl.
There is one more thing I have to say about the brownie mix. I HIGHLY recommend the Ghirardelli brownie mixes or the Chocolate Fudge Pillsbury mix. Don’t waste your time with the Milk Chocolate Pillsbury mix. It’s just not going to be as good as the deeper chocolate mixes. TRUST ME!
Other Tips for Pumpkin Swirled Brownie Success
Here are some more pro-tips on making the best Pumpkin Swirled Brownies ever.
Instead of just spraying your baking dish with cooking spray, I’d recommend lining it with parchment paper, too. I do this because I love that I can lift the whole pan of brownies out of the pan to get nice clean cuts of brownie.
Error on the side of under baked. You really don’t want the edges to be over-baked so if you think it might be close to done, keep a super close eye on it!
Lastly, these Pumpkin Swirled Brownies are PERFECT for the couple who has one pumpkin loving freak (that’d be me) and one person who could take or leave pumpkin (take a guess who). The pumpkin swirl gives me just enough of that flavor to get my pumpkin fix while Marc (okay, we both) enjoy the chocolate-y brownie. Marriage is about compromise, after all!
- 1 18 ounce package of brownie mix
For the pumpkin swirl
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Optional, but recommended: line dish with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin puree.
- Add the flour, spices, baking soda, and salt, and mix until well combined.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan.
- Scoop dollops of pumpkin dough on top of brownie batter.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the pumpkin dough throughout the brownie. It is a thick dough, but it will swirl - I promise!
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Watch it closely and do not over bake. You want the center set, but a toothpick should still have some crumbs on it when it comes out of the oven.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut and enjoy!