Want to know the worst part about pumpkin season? Marc is not a huge pumpkin fan. I mean, he’ll eat the random pumpkin bar if it’s all we have in the house, but for the most part, all of the pumpkin treats that I make go straight to my belly. And my friend’s bellies, since I want to fit in my pants by the end of the season.
My taste for pumpkin has definitely changed over the years. A few years ago if you would have given me a dessert with pumpkin and chocolate I surely would have turned it down. I remember seeing a recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for the first time and I just could not understand how anyone could like pumpkin and chocolate together. Pumpkin and white chocolate? Yes. Pumpkin and semi-sweet or dark chocolate? Nope. The two just did not seem like they would be buddies.
Somehow I ended up trying the combo together aaaaand let’s just say I’ve been a sucker for anything with pumpkin and chocolate ever since. Whether it’s my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread or my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars with Cream Cheese Glaze, I’m head over heels for it.
Since I love pumpkin and chocolate, how could I not love pumpkin, chocolate and caramel?! So I took my pumpkin bar recipe and instead of the chocolate chips and frosting, I threw some Rolos in there instead. Gloooorious. The bars are more cake like than, say, a blondie, but not light and fluffy like a cake. They’re the perfect vessel for ooey gooey chocolate caramels, I do have to say.
If you’re on the fence about pumpkin or chocolate, or just a full-blown pumpkin and chocolate lover like myself, you must make these bars! They will affirm your love for the combo or convert you into a believer. Promise.
p.s. Can we all wish my beautiful mother a HAPPY BIRTHDAY today?!? I have to wait a couple of weeks until we get to celebrate but I think for now these bars will do, don’t you? Chocolate now, wine later. p.p.s. My mom is turning 30, for all of you who were wondering 😉
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 cups Rolo candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat together the butter and both sugars until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add pumpkin puree and beat until combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and slowly add in flour mixture, until combined.
- Stir in Rolos.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs, approximately 35-40 minutes. Mine took 40 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut and enjoy!