This post is sponsored by Prego® but opinions are my own.
Now that Lars is six-months-old, his pediatrician gave us the green light to go ahead and start trying solids with him. As a food lover myself (obviously) I could not wait to start introducing him to food! So far he’s had sweet potatoes, broccoli, peas, banana, avocado, carrots, cauliflower, strawberries, and homemade oatmeal. The little guy probably eats better than I do! I also bought a few baby food cookbooks with fun combinations that I am super excited to try on him once he’s a little older.
Something I’m also excited for? When he can eat the meals we are eating, and we can have family dinners. Growing up, we pretty much always sat down for dinner together (even if it was just Hamburger Helper!) and I am definitely making that a priority with our family, too.
I’m pretty sure these days will come before I know it, so I love when I create quick and easy weeknight meals that I can have ready in my recipe box for those nights in the future when we are short on time but need a hot meal for us to eat as a family.
This is definitely one of those meals that I know I will keep going back to…especially in the fall! I mean, Pumpkin Alfredo sauce?! It’s heavenly.
The sauce comes together super quick with the help of Prego‘s Homestyle Alfredo Sauce, and while I’m not usually a fan of jarred sauces, especially creamy ones, I was really pleasantly surprised with this one. It isn’t fake tasting at all, and while it’s actually really tasty on its own, I jazzed it up just a little by adding canned pumpkin puree and a pinch of nutmeg.
The combination of the slightly sweet Alfredo sauce with the spicy Italian sausage was perfection, and, of course, I had to add some greens (kale!) to boost the nutrient value of our dinner. Plus, I’m thinking if the kale is chopped finely enough, this would be a great way to get kids to eat their kale without forcing them.
We loved this dinner and I hope your family does too!
- 16 oz mild Italian turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14.5 oz jar Prego Homestyle Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 12 oz fettuccine pasta
- fresh sage for topping
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to the package.
- While pasta is cooking, cook sausage until cooked through in a large skillet.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add onions and cook 5-7 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic and sage and cook 1 minute.
- Season with salt.
- Add Alfredo sauce, pumpkin, and nutmeg, and stir to combine.
- Over medium heat, bring to a simmer.
- Add kale and stir well, incorporating it into the sauce.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, combine with sauce and sausage, stirring well to combine.
- Top with additional fresh sage and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!