Perfect pumpkin bars with an irresistible salted caramel cream cheese frosting – there’s no better fall treat!
Note: this post has been updated on 9/8/16 with new photos. These continue to be a fall favorite of ours and loved by everyone that tries them!
Hmm…notice something a little different around here? Things seem a little brighter, more cheery? Yep, that’s right – greens & chocolate got a makeover! I realize that I changed my design earlier this year when I made the big switch from blogger to WordPress but I just never had a great feeling about it. It never really felt like home to me. Now, however, I can say this feels absolutely perfect and I owe a HUGE thank you to Shay Bock. She was such a delight to work with. It was as if she could read into my mind, knowing exactly what I wanted my new design to look like. I really hope you like it too, and find it’s a place you want to keep coming back to 🙂
To celebrate the new look, I made you your new favorite pumpkin bars with salted caramel cream cheese frosting. I just know they will be! The secret ingredient? Salted caramel, duh. Is there anything that’s NOT made better by salted caramel? I think not. So yeah, I took a super basic pumpkin bar recipe, made it a wee bit healthier by subbing some applesauce for half of then oil (you can’t tell, I promise!) and then slathered the entire pan with globs and globs of salted caramel cream cheese frosting.
Let’s just say a pan of these around my pumpkin-loving self is quite dangerous. The frosting is just as delicious as you would think, with a deep caramel flavor with a salty bite to it. The caramel flavor of the frosting goes perfectly with the cinnamon and nutmeg spiced pumpkin bars which bake up perfectly moist.
Also – yes, I realize this post is missing some pictures to go along with the bars. I’m having some camera difficulties right now and am unable to post the pictures that I took, but I figured my new look needed an introduction and you needed a new recipe in your life so I posted anyways. Hope you forgive me 😉 I also hope this situation is solved soon….
Looking for more pumpkin bar recipes? Check these out!
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
for the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 8 oz brick cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
To make the pumpkin bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, and pumpkin puree.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing in low until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 28-32 minutes, until toothpick comes out of the middle clean.
- Let cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- In bowl with electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth.
- Add caramel and sea salt, mixing until combined.
- Spread frosting on top of cooled pumpkin bars.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!