Every year I try not to jump the gun on fall baking, and every year I fail. This year, though, I wanted to hold onto every last bit of summer as I could, as the new season means my baby boy is getting older and maternity leave is drawing to an end. I guess you could say it was more denial than anything.
So in my state of denial, I was trying my hardest not to even start to think about fall until September. Except this weather! When I wake up and it’s 55 degrees out, I can’t help but think about all things pumpkin and apple. Ah well, I tried.
It didn’t help that we went up the cabin this weekend and it was even chillier, making it feel even more like fall.
I love making a big breakfast when we’re at the cabin so I made this Potato Sausage and Kale Breakfast Casserole along with a batch of apple muffins on Sunday morning. The morning which was chilly and cloudy, feeling just like autumn, and felt like the perfect opportunity to spend some time in the kitchen. Since we had four extra grandparent hands to cuddle Lars, I jumped at the chance to cook everyone breakfast.
This breakfast casserole was the result of leftover potatoes and kale from the farmers market, and some fresh pork sausage. I made it in a cast iron skillet which made it super easy to transfer from the stove to the oven, but if you don’t have one you can bake it in a baking dish, too.
We all loved this breakfast casserole. The sausage gave it a ton of flavor and the kale and potato make it extra hearty. It was the perfect way to fill up on a cool fall morning!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 tablespoons butter olive oil would work too
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion about 1 small onion
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large skillet, preferably cast iron, cook the sausage.
- Once cooked, add the kale and toss to combine, cook 2 minutes until kale is slightly cooked.
- Remove sausage and kale from skillet and set aside.
- Melt butter in same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and potatoes and cook 7-10 minutes, until onions become translucent and potatoes begin to soften.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Add sausage and kale back to skillet with the potato mixture. If you are not using an oven-safe skillet, combine potato mixture with sausage and kale in a 9" baking dish.
- Pour egg and milk mixture into skillet/baking dish.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, until eggs are set and cheese is slightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy!