Wanna know what’s awkward? Grilling for one. While I cook for just myself frequently because of Marc’s job, I find it much different to grill for just myself. Especially when we live in a duplex and our neighbors come outside and see me, glass of wine in hand, and one lonely bun on the patio table waiting to be filled. Okay, so I’m probably over-exaggerating the awkwardness but really, when have you ever grilled just for yourself? See.
It was all for a good reason, obviously. I was craving a portobello mushroom burger and since I had a wide open Friday night and was flying solo, I decided to do whatever I wanted. So I grilled for myself. Since my basil plant is growing at a ridiculous rate, I decided to make another batch of pesto for these burgers. I also bought fresh mozzarella and tomatoes for the toppings for a truly summer themed burger.
I really wanted the flavor of the pesto to come out so I marinated the portobellos in pesto along with a good spread of the pesto on the lightly toasted buns. The grill makes for the perfect environment to get the mozzarella cheese all nice and melty, but be careful the cheese doesn’t melt over the side. The five minutes of grilling the mushrooms on the bottom with the cheese on top seemed to be the perfect amount of time to get the cheese melted but not too much. All together, the portobello, pesto, tomato, and mozzarella work really well together and they rocked it on this burger.
Like this recipe? Then you’ll love these, too:
- 4 portobello mushroom caps stem and gills removed
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- tomato slices
- fresh mozzarella slices
- 4 buns
- Brush mushroom caps with pesto, using about 1/4 cup, and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush olive oil onto grill, then heat grill to medium heat.
- Add mushrooms to grill and cook 5 minutes with rounded side down.
- Flip over, then add mozzarella to on top of mushroom caps.
- Close grill and cook another 4-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Put buns on grill for about 1 minute to lightly toast.
- Spread 1 tbsp pesto on each bun.
- Top with mushroom caps and tomato slices.