Did you know that on July 1st Google reader is no longer a thing? I know, it’s weird. It doesn’t make sense why Google would take it away from us. Why, Google, why?! Luckily, there are a couple of other options for us. The ones I know of are Feedly and bloglovin. I think the difference between the two is mainly just a matter of personal preference, but whichever one you prefer – make sure you update it and follow greens & chocolate! Please and thanks 😉
Okay, now that we have that business taken care of…onto the food! You guys, these potatoes are amazing. Marc typically isn’t a fan of the potatoes I make which I make by simply dicing them up and roasting them in olive oil, garlic, some herbs, salt, and pepper. Usually he just picks at them. I usually drench them in ketchup. But these pesto grilled potatoes are something to get excited about. These we loved.
You start by grilling the potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper, in a wire mesh grill pan. This gets them all nice and soft, some with crispy edges with the smoky grill flavor. Then they are tossed in a homemade pesto and ready to be eaten. Easy peasy. And did I mention they are SO GOOD? They were the perfect side dish to grilled chicken (fun new recipe coming this week!) and corn on the cob.
You could certainly use store-bought pesto if you are short on time or don’t have an overflowing basil plant like mine right now. My recipe for pesto makes more than needed for this recipe, but you can easily freeze pesto by pouring it into an ice cube tray, freezing, then once frozen pop out the pesto cubes and keep them frozen in a ziploc baggie. Then you can simply thaw them out and have homemade pesto ready within seconds!
Like this recipe for Pesto Grilled Potatoes? Then you’ll love these, too!
pesto grilled potatoesPrint Rate
for the pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
for the potatoes:
- 1 lb potatoes I used red potatoes, you could also use Yukon or fingerlings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
To make the pesto:
- Add basil leaves, nuts, garlic, and cheese to food processor.
- Pulse until finely diced.
- Slowly add olive oil, and blend until almost smooth.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Set aside.
To make the potatoes:
- Cut potatoes into wedges. You don't want them too thin or they'll burn but not too thick or they'll take a long time to cook.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium heat in a wire mesh grill pan until potatoes are cooked, about 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Be sure to watch potatoes closely, as they can burn quickly.
- Once potatoes are cooked, remove from grill and transfer to bowl.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of pesto, tossing to combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving.