One of the special things about this time of year is that it is a time for traditions. It seems that each family has their own traditions, whether it’s cutting down their own Christmas tree, watching a certain Christmas movie every year, making a certain thing for breakfast on Christmas morning, taking a family photo…the list could go on. My family has quite a few traditions, which sadly as I’ve gotten older I haven’t been able to participate in. I suppose with the start of my new family it’s time to start our own traditions, right?!
One tradition that I loved growing up was making Christmas sugar cookies. Most years we would do this and it was an all-family affair. My mom would make the dough the night before, my grandpa would roll the dough out, the kids were in charge of the cookie cutters, and everyone helped with the cookie decorating. Inevitably, someone always decorated a Rudolph cookie as a “wounded deer” but I suppose that was just part of the tradition.
Perfectly Chewy Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with electric mixer until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add extracts and mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture slowly, and mix on low until completed distributed.
- Put sprinkles into a bowl.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sprinkles.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes.
- They may not appear completely set up, but they will firm up while cooling.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or on the image below to pin this Perfectly Chewy Sugar Cookies recipe for later!
Like this recipe? You’ll love these, too:
- Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Orange Almond Ricotta Cookies
- Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Meyer Lemon and Vanilla Bean Cookies
- Eggnog Cookies