Peppermint Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies are just what your holiday dessert tray needs!
Christmas Baking Mode
Now that Thanksgiving is over, I am in full Christmas baking mode. Let’s just go ahead and assume every single recipe that I post for here through the end of the year will have sugar in it, mmmk?
I’m already riding high on a sugar buzz, having made peppermint bark and sugar cookies twice in the past week, but still have a long list of my usual suspects in line to make before Christmas, like peanut butter blossoms, peppermint shortbread bars, and fudge. I won’t stop there, though. Ohhhhh no. I need to make some fun new recipe ideas, too.
While I love all of the flavors of Christmas (eggnog! gingerbread!), my absolute favorite is peppermint. Add a little chocolate to that, and I’m good to go. So really, it’s not shocking that these Peppermint Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies just might be my new favorite holiday treat.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
The brownie base is dense and fudgey, just like brownies should be in my opinion. I also added chocolate chips to the brownie batter, for even more chocolate flavor throughout.
Then comes the fun part – the peppermint cream cheese swirl. I divided my cream cheese mixture into two parts and added red food coloring to one part, so my swirls would be candy cane-ish. This is definitely optional, but a fun addition to make them look festive. To top them off, crushed candy canes not only make them look even more festive, but also add a little crunch to each bite.
These peppermint cream cheese swirl brownies would be a perfect addition to a holiday dessert tray, or would also be fun little edible gifts for coworkers and friends. Or just treat yourself and keep them. It’s the holidays, after all!
for the brownies
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
for the cream cheese swirl:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13"baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and flour. Set aside.
- Melt butter in medium bowl in microwave.
- Combine melted butter with granulated sugar and with an electric mixer, beat on high until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Add vanilla extract, beating until combined.
- Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add sugar, egg whites, and peppermint extract, beating until combined.
- Remove half of the cream cheese mixture, and place into piping back or plastic baggie.
- Add red food coloring to remaining cream cheese mixture, until desired color is reached.
- Place red cream cheese mixture in separate plastic baggie.
- Cut a small piece off the corner of the non-colored cream cheese plastic bag and create rows of cream cheese on top of the brownie mixture, going the short way in the brownie pan.
- Repeat with red cream cheese mixture.
- Using a knife, swirl the rows the long way of the brownie pan, creating swirls.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until tester comes out with just a few crumbs from the middle.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
This post was sponsored by Lund’s and Byerly’s, however all opinions are my own.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or the image below to pin this Peppermint Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies recipe for later!