Woah! Is it already Friday? Sweet. Love it when 4 day work weeks happen. I’m headed out of town, once again, this weekend to visit my BFFFFFFF (that’s just my exaggerated way of saying best friend FOREVER because I am still in 5th grade, apparently) Melissa in Iowa.
I’ve mentioned before that even though distance and life (including a big snow storm this winter) sometimes gets in the way of Melissa and I seeing each other, we still love each other just as much and have a blast spending time together together. It’s funny because while we used to spend our college days hitting up the town and staying out way too late, now we opt to spend our weekends together crafting or planting herbs, like we plan on doing this weekend. With wine, of course. Some things will never, ever change.
These muffins have nothing to do with Melissa or my weekend, but they should probably find their way into your weekend. I’d say muffins are one of my favorite things to bake on weekends because they’re relatively quick, not too fussy, and always satisfying. Especially when they’re filled with wheat flour, oat bran, oats, peanut butter, and flax seed, like these muffins.
These muffins are the kind that you feel like you should eat on week days, when you’re being “good” because they’re super healthy, but taste good enough to eat on the weekends when you’re being “naughty.” That makes sense, right? The fun part about them is that the peanut butter is actually a filling, not just a flavor in the muffin. So the base of the muffin is a banana bran muffin, which is fiber-ful and delicious, and then there is a little pocket of peanut butter inside each one. It’s like a little present waiting inside for you. And who doesn’t like presents? Especially when they involve peanut butter.
peanut butter banana bran muffinsPrint Rate
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 tbsp whole flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup approximately peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, oats, oat bran, flax seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, yogurt, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir well with wooden spoon, until just combined.
- Fill each muffin tin about 1/3 of the way.
- Spoon in 1-2 tsp of peanut butter, according to your preference.
- Fill each muffin tin with remaining batter, about 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until tops spring back.
- Let cool in muffin pan 10 minutes, then remove from muffin pan and cool completely.