While I’ve planted a garden almost every year for the past 3 years that we’ve lived in our house, it’s safe to say that this is the first year I’ve actually had a real bounty of produce coming from it. My zucchini plants are going crazy, I have more cucumbers than I know what to do with, and I’ve been eating more kale daily than ever. And I eat a lot of kale.
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I over doubled my garden space. The last couple of years I’ve tried to cram too much in too little space. This year I took out some bushes by our garage and made it into my second garden. Along with the zucchini, cucumbers, and kale, I’m also growing broccoli, butternut squash, acorn squash, and tomatoes. Oh and somehow a random green bean plant was put in there. I think I meant to buy a summer squash plant and it must’ve been a green bean plant instead.
While I’ve been pretty self sufficient when it comes to vegetables lately, fruit is a whole other story. I absolutely LOVE this time of year for buying and eating fruit. The cherries are incredible, the berries are the best, and the peaches! Oh the peaches. So juicy and sweet!
My favorite way to eat peaches for dessert is to caramelize them in butter, sugar, and a little vanilla, and put them on top of ice cream (like in this recipe). For breakfast, this Peaches and Cream Coffee Cake has my heart.
I love coffee cakes because it’s really just an excuse to eat cake for breakfast, right? They’re just as sweet and delicious as dessert cake and typically have the added bonus of a crumb topping. What’s not to love?
This Peaches and Cream Coffee Cake is definitely not your typical coffee cake. While the base of the coffee cake is fairly standard, the cake is drizzled with a cream cheese mixture and fresh peaches. Of course, I couldn’t forget the crumb topping!
I think my husband said it best when he said “This is the best coffee cake I’ve ever had!”
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 large ripe peaches peeled and sliced thinly
To make the cream cheese layer:
- Add cream cheese and sugar to a bowl. Beat until well combined with electric mixer.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Set aside.
To make the crumb topping:
- Combine butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and stir until well combined.
- Set aside.
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9x13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides between each addition.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts, beating until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder and stir until well combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add half of the buttermilk and beat until just combined.
- Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Pour cake batter into prepared baking dish.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake batter, spreading out with a spatula.
- Place sliced peaches in a single layer on top of cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until slightly golden and cooked through.
- Cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!