With November well on its way, I suppose we should start preparing for the holidays, eh?! I’ve been busy in the kitchen testing lots of Thanksgiving recipes but today, we’re talking about holiday appetizers. First, let’s talk business.
I’m thrilled to be bringing you another sponsored post from Honest Cooking , this time featuring Parma Ham. You might be more familiar with Parma Ham’s by another name, prosciutto, but Parma Ham isn’t just any kind of prosciutto. Parma Ham is special because it only comes from a certain region of Italy (Parma) and has very high standards it must meet, so its quality is absolutely guaranteed. It is also all natural and gluten-free, with no additives or preservatives, which makes it different from many brands of prosciutto that you will otherwise find. One bite of Parma Ham and you’ll never eat another kind again.
When first thinking of what kind of holiday dish I wanted to make with Parma Ham, my mind immediately thought of something wrapped in prosciutto. I’m a huge fan of prosciutto-wrapped dates, but I wanted to do something a little different so I picked a seasonal fruit, pears, to be wrapped in the prosciutto. I also added a slice of parmesan to each one for it’s nutty flavor and a contrast of texture. Topped with a balsamic reduction, the flavors were a perfect match.
I had originally planned to serve the appetizer cold, but at the last minute I decided to throw them in the oven for a few minutes to get the cheese a bit soft and the prosciutto a little crispy. I’m so glad I did because the crispy prosciutto contrasted with the soft pear and creamy cheese was my favorite part. These were so easy to make and would be just perfect served at a holiday party, or out for snacking before Thanksgiving dinner.
Follow Parma Ham on Twitter for a chance to win $50 worth of the world’s most famous ham. Click on the banner below to participate. This post is a collaboration between the blogger and Parma Ham.
prosciutto wrapped pear with parmesan cheese
for the prosciutto-wrapped pears
- 6 slices Parma Ham prosciutto cut long ways in half
- 2 ripe pears each sliced into 6 slivers
- 12 small slices of Parmesan cheese
for the balsamic reduction:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
To make the prosciutto wrapped pears:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place one sliver of pear at the end of half a slice of prosciutto.
- Top with slice of Parmesan cheese
- Roll pear and Parmesan in prosciutto.
- Lay prosciutto wrapped pear on baking sheet with the end of the prosciutto down.
- Bake in preheated oven for 6-10 minutes, until prosciutto becomes a little crispy and cheese is warm.
To make the reduction:
- Heat balsamic vinegar and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until vinegar has reduced and will coat the back of a spoon. It should be the consistency of syrup.
- Drizzle over warm prosciutto wrapped pears.
- Serve immediately.