There are times in life when I need an all-fruit and veggies, no-sugar-added, nutrient-dense juice.
Then there are times in life when I need a brownie. Not an applesauce-instead-of-oil, reduced sugar brownie, but a dense, chocolatey, over the top brownie.
Maybe these two circumstances are somehow related to each other? Perhaps I might need the super healthy juice to balance out the butter and chocolate. Or maybe I want the brownie because I’ve had an overload of vitamins. Who knows. All I know is that if eating these brownies is wrong, I don’t want to be right.
I’ve done the brown butter brownie before, and I swear after my first bite of it I vowed to never make another brownie without brown butter. So this weekend when I had an intense chocolate craving, I set out to make the brown butter brownies again. As if that wasn’t enough, I added Nutella. And then the kicker, the sea salt. Is it just me or does sea salt make every dessert irresistible? Please say it’s not just me.
So go make these brownies. They’re insanely delicious. Then drink some juice to balance it out.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line 9x13" baking dish with foil, then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook until butter turns amber (about 5-7 minutes). Keep a close eye on it, as it will burn quickly.
- In large bowl, combine brown butter, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, water, and salt. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture, whisking constantly as you add them, and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in flour.
- Pour in prepared pan.
- Spoon Nutella into a plastic baggie, then microwave for 20 seconds. Snip the corner off one side of the baggie, then squeeze out into rows the short way of the baking dish.
- Then, using a knife, run perpendicular to the rows, making a swirl.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Cool in pan, then cut into squares and enjoy!