Nourishing Green Soup is filled with nutritious greens like spinach and kale, topped with brown rice and chickpeas for protein and fiber for a healthy and filling meal!
When it comes to greens, it’s no secret that I love ’em. I’ll throw kale in anything (or make an entire dish around it!) and spinach is a staple in our smoothies. I know everyone isn’t as enthusiastic about their greens as I am, but I actually think this bright green soup could be loved by everyone. Spoiler alert: Marc’s review was “Hmm…that’s actually pretty good!” Hey, I’ll take it!
This Nourishing Green Soup is everything it’s name implies. It’s stuffed to the brim with nourishment. There’s nutrients from the greens and vegetables, and fiber and protein from the brown rice, chickpeas, and Greek yogurt on top. And yeah – it’s bright green!
How to Make Nourishing Green Soup
This soup is actually quite simple, too. First you will get a pot of brown rice started in one pot and saute onion and garlic in another. Easy peasy. Then you’ll add the rest of the ingredients, including kale, spinach, broth, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and some of that brown rice you just cooked, and let it cook for about 10 minutes to cook the greens. Again, so easy.
Last step: puree the soup. I used my immersion blender because my Vitamix pooped out on me last week. Really, either a high powered blender or an immersion hand blender will work. If you use a high powered blender, just do it in batches and be careful with the hot liquid!
Wow I sound like a mom, don’t I?
Lastly, you serve with more of the brown rice, some chickpeas, and Greek yogurt. That’s it and you’re on your way to a big bowl of comforting and healthy soup!
While I used baby spinach and kale in this Nourishing Green Soup, there are a lot of other greens you can use, too. For example, swiss chard and arugula would be great options.
I made a big batch of this soup last week and ate it for lunch the next few days. I also packed some up for a friend with a new baby because if there’s any time that someone might need Nourishing Green Soup, it’s when you’re sleep deprived and in need of a nourishing meal!
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces chopped kale leaves approximately 1 large bunch
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 4-6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- juice from 1 lemon
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- plain Greek yogurt for topping
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to boil.
- Add rice, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add garlic, cooking for one more minute.
- Add chopped kale, baby spinach, 4 cups of broth, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir to incorporate the greens into the broth and bring to a boil.
- The greens will wilt as they cook and if you need more broth to submerge the greens, add 1/2 cup at a time.
- Once greens are wilted, add 1/2 cup of the cooked rice to the pot, stirring to combine.
- At this point, you want to puree the soup. You can use an immersion hand blender or a standard blender to puree until smooth.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve soup topped with a couple tablespoons of chickpeas, additional brown rice, and a dollop/swirl of plain Greek yogurt.