These cute and delicious Monster Eye Truffles are a super fun idea for a Halloween treat! Bonus: these truffles are dairy-free!
Note: This post is sponsored by GO VEGGIE. All opinions and recipe are my own. Thank you for allowing me to share my favorite brands with you!
Now that Lars is three, I feel like I’m getting into the “fun treat” phase of motherhood. Sure, I made Mummy Pumpkin Bars last year for Halloween, but he could’ve cared less. And I highly doubt I gave him one.
This year, however, I was SO excited to show him these Monster Eye Truffles! I brought him with me to the store to buy the decorations and pick out the perfect colors for the truffles, and even had him help me decorate them.
He thought they were pretty awesome, and was even more excited when he found out he got to eat one.
These truffles are a pretty basic recipe that you can find all over the internet. A package of creme-filled chocolate cookies (a.k.a. Oreos), and one package of cream cheese. EXCEPT! I did something a little different.
Instead of Oreos, I used Newman’s Own Newman O’s creme-filled chocolate cookies, which are vegan. I also used GO VEGGIE Plain Cream Cheese, which is also vegan and dairy-free. These two swaps make these Monster Eye Truffles completely dairy free and lactose free! You just have to make sure the candy melts that you find are also dairy-free.
You can, of course, use regular cream cheese and Oreos if you aren’t vegan or lactose-free. They’ll turn out just the same and just as delicious!
As far as the other ingredients, they should be fairly easy to find. I found colored candy melts at my local crafts store, and the candy eyes and Halloween sprinkles at Target. This time of year, those should be pretty easy to find.
These were super fun to package up and hand out to our neighbors and friends. I have never been great at making Oreo truffles look good, cut it’s amazing how a little candy eye and some sprinkles can make a lopsided truffle look cute!
Looking for other Halloween treats like these Monster Eye Truffles? Check these out!
- 1 16 ounce package creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreos)*
- 1 8 ounce container GO VEGGIE Plain Cream Cheese
- 1 12 ounce bag purple candy melts
- 1 12 ounce bag green candy melts
- Halloween sprinkles
- Candy eyes
- Place package of Oreos in a large food processor and pulse until it resembles crumbs.
- Place Oreo crumbs in a bowl with GO VEGGIE Plain Cream Cheese. With a spatula, mix together the Oreo crumbs and cream cheese until they are well blended.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop approximately 2 tablespoon-sized Oreo truffles onto parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Melt candy melts according to package directions.
- Dip the truffles into the candy melts, doing half purple and half green.
- Immediately after you dip each truffle, place it on the parchment paper and press on a candy eye and sprinkles.
- Let dry completely.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.