Mediterranean Quinoa and Kale Salad is my version of Panera’s Mediterranean Quinoa Salad – packed with quinoa, kale, olives, feta, almonds, sun-dried tomatoes, and a homemade Greek dressing!
Wooohoooo it’s vacation time! This morning (at 5 a.m.!) Marc, Lars, and I hopped on a plane to head to Rosemary Beach, Florida for a week of sunshine. While in the past we have gone to Captiva, Florida, where Marc’s parents have a time-share, this year we are meeting my mom’s side of the family down there for spring break. I am super excited for Lars to spend some time with his aunts, uncles, and cousins! Okay, they’re actually his great-aunts/uncles and “cousins once removed” but that just sounds weird, doesn’t it?
Super Delicioius Salad
Anyways, I have a super delicious salad for you today!
Since there was a Panera with a drive-through (best. invention. ever.) right next to where Lars took swimming lessons, I made it a weekly habit to stop there and grab lunch after lessons. In the past I typically gravitate towards the Fuji Apple Salad or some broccoli cheddar soup if I’m feeling like some cozy food, but ever since trying the Mediterranean Quinoa Salad one week, I’ve been hooked.
What’s a girl to do when she can’t be ordering a $9 salad every day for lunch? Make it on her own!
I always try to eat a little healthier right before vacation (although last night I did demolish a Chipotle burrito bowl followed by some Girl Scout cookies…oops…) and this Mediterranean Quinoa and Kale salad was my go-to lunch last week.
This salad starts with a base of quinoa and kale, to which you add salty olives, sun-dried tomatoes (I like the ones in oil!), protein-packed garbanzo beans, crunchy sliced almonds, tangy feta, and a simple but tasty homemade Greek dressing. It’s pretty much a flavor explosion.
Mediterranean Quinoa and Kale Salad
This salad was perfect for making at the beginning of the week and portioning out to have for lunch every day throughout the week. I love using kale in salads like this because, unlike spinach or romaine, it doesn’t get gross and wilted.
This was so tasty it’s actually on our vacation meal plan! Yep, I made a vacation meal plan because I’m *kinda* weird like that.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Click here or the image below to pin this Mediterranean Quinoa and Kale Salad recipe for later!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 small cucumber diced
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 14 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 4 ounces about 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning OR 1/4 teaspoon each of dried basil dried oregano, dried rosemary, dried sage, dried tarragon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package. I cook mine with a 1:2 quinoa to water ratio about 15-18 minutes, until fluffy.
- Combine quinoa with sun-dried tomatoes, olives, cucumber, kale, garbanzo beans, and almonds.
- Make dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until well combined.
- Pour over salad mixture and toss well to combine.
- Top with feta cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!