Parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, and carrots get the royal treatment with maple syrup, rosemary, and sea salt before roasting to perfection!
First of all, thank you SO much for all of the lovely comments on the announcement on our little peanut coming in June! Reading all of your comments seriously choked me up (pregnancy hormones, anyone?) and I can’t wait to share pregnancy updates with you. I’ve decide that I’ll do a biweekly update, since it feels like there’s no huge changes week to week. At least not yet.
To jump start the new year, I’m sharing one of my favorite go-to healthy recipes. When I’m not sure what to serve as a side dish with dinner, I always fall back on roasted veggies. I always love roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, but I’ve been trying to branch out for sake of variety. Lately, I’ve been playing around with vegetables that I’m not completely familiar with, like parsnips, turnips, and rutabaga. Are you not so familiar with these veggies either? Here’s a quick/not-technical tutorial.
Parsnips – look like white carrots.
Turnips – look like a bigger and more white radish.
Rutabaga – a cross between cabbage and turnip so it looks like a bigger turnip.
Hopefully that helps a little? If in doubt, ask one of the people working in the produce department of your grocery store. Side note: there are no turnips in the picture below. Just carrots, parsnips, and rutabaga.
This recipe couldn’t be easier. Simply peel and dice up all of your veggies, toss in some olive oil, maple syrup, dried herbs, and sea salt, and roast away! I loved the new flavors of the roasted turnips, parsnips, and rutabaga and they went really well with the maple syrup and dried rosemary.
These roasted root veggies would be great alongside a roasted chicken, pot roast, or whatever main dish you have cooking up in your kitchen.
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 3-4 parsnips peeled and diced
- 2 rutabaga peeled and diced
- 2 turnips peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine veggies, olive oil, maple syrup, rosemary, salt, and pepper in large bowl and toss to combine.
- Spread out evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes, until veggies are golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!