Oh you guys. You have no idea how happy I am to be posting today. It feels like it’s been forever! Between unpacking/moving into our new house, cleaning out the old place, and a busy (but fun!) Memorial Day weekend, it has been seemingly impossible to sit down at the computer and get any work done. Oh, and I’ve been in a vicious cycle of eating out pretty much every night the past couple of weeks and doing very little cooking. But I am back in the kitchen. Or, back on the grill? Whatever. Either way, I’m cooking again and I have a crazy delicious recipe for you today.
I made this mango curry marinated grilled chicken for my mom and I over the weekend after a long day of shopping for stuff for the new house and doing some gardening. I have to admit – neither of us were really excited to cook, as we’d been on our feet and busy all day long, but thankfully this chicken (and the yummy veggie we cooked with it – recipe coming later this week!) could not be easier. I whipped up the marinade earlier in the day so the chicken had been bathing in it all day long, soaking up every last bit of flavor. So when it came time to “cook dinner” all we really had to do was throw it on the grill and wait for it to cook. While we enjoyed a couple of cocktails, of course.
I really loved the flavors of this marinade. I had the idea for making a Mango Curry marinade when I sampled Target’s new Archers Farm Mango Curry Marinade while shopping there this weekend. It was pretty tasty, but I knew I could make one that was even better AND not bottled. Mission: accomplished. The coconut milk ensures the chicken stays moist, which in my book is crucial for eating and actually enjoying chicken. Dry chicken is no bueno. The pureed mango adds a bit of sweetness which balances out the spice from the curry and jalapeño. The only thing we wished we had done differently was to keep a little of the marinade aside (as in, not putting the chicken in it) to save it as a dipping sauce.
Now that it’s officially grilling season, it’s time to start thinking about all of the fun things to grill up this summer. Definitely put this one on your list – it’s not one to be missed!
mango curry grilled chicken
- 4-6 medium chicken breasts boneless and skin removed
- 1 mango peeled and flesh cut from pit
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 jalapeño seeds removed
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro plus 2 tbsp more for topping
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place all marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until pureed.
- Place chicken breasts in tupperware container and cover with all but 1/3 cup of the marinade, making sure both sides are covered.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Refrigerate remaining 1/3 cup marinade in separate container.
- When ready to eat, turn on grill to medium-high.
- Place chicken breasts on grill and cook until internal temperature reads 175 degrees F, about 6-7 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your chicken. It is always best to use a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is cooked fully.
- Top with chopped cilantro and serve with remaining marinade, for dipping.