I pinned this mango and black bean quinoa salad recipe on Pinterest.
I saved it as a favorite on Tastespotting.
I bookmarked it into my recipe folder. Twice.
Ya think I wanted to make this mango and black bean quinoa salad?? Apparently so. How could I not? Every part of this dish is appealing, from the sweet, juicy mangos combined with crunchy red peppers, creamy black beans, and nutty quinoa, to the simple lime vinaigrette that pulls it all together. The entire salad is fresh and full of flavor. It’s great for a summer side dish and goes great with barbecued meat!
To be honest, I wasn’t expecting Marc to like this one. Fruit and quinoa just doesn’t seem like his type of man-palate. I made it to go with some cheesy creamy enchiladas(to please Marc’s said man-palate), and then to eat for the rest of the week for lunch.
This was not the case. To my surprise, he happily ate it, and even made a comment that he really liked it. I think he too was surprised by how much he liked it. We have actually made this recipe multiple times. I make it when I want a healthy lunch made for a couple of days. I make it as a potluck side dish. I make it when we have friends over. Everyone loves this mango and black bean quinoa salad every time we make it!
Even though this is a side dish, I could definitely see it jazzed up with some grilled chicken or fish to be made a meal. Side dish or main dish, this recipe is a winner!
Like this recipe? Check out these other quinoa recipes:
mango and black bean quinoa salad
For the salad:
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth water will work too
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and white parts removed, diced
- 1 mango peeled cut into little chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package. Typically this involves combining quinoa with broth/water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed.
- In large bowl, combine quinoa, red pepper, mango, cilantro, black beans, and red onion.
- To the bowl add the red wine vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine well.
- Eat immediately or store in refrigerator in an air-tight container.