If you think Lobster Macaroni and Cheese sounds indulgent, you are RIGHT! Save this one for a special occasion like Christmas, New Years Eve, or an anniversary – it is worth it!
Does it really get more indulgent than homemade macaroni and cheese with lobster in it? I don’t think so. I think this year it’s about time we treat ourselves, though, and this Lobster Macaroni and Cheese is the perfect way to do it.
It’s no doubt all of our Christmas gatherings will be much smaller this year, and a lot of people it will just be with your immediate family. Why not break the tradition of beef tenderloin or ham and make this macaroni and cheese instead?
Ingredients in Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
Lobster Tails – These are much less intimidating to cook than an entire lobster! I used two in this recipe which was enough but not overwhelming. If you want more, go for it and add three or four!
Large Elbow Macaroni – You can really use whatever your favorite pasta shape is, aside from long pastas like fettuccine, spaghetti, or angel hair. I think rigatoni, shells, or campanelle would work great.
Butter – along with the flour is used for making the creamy cheese sauce., and used with breadcrumbs for the topping.
Milk – I used 2%.
Heavy Cream – Essential for the creaminess of the cheese sauce!
Garlic Powder – for flavah!
Onion Powder – again, more flavor.
Paprika – and more flavah.
Shredded White Cheddar Cheese
Shredded Gruyere Cheese
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Breadcrumbs – for a buttery, crunchy topping.
Parsley – for a little green on top. Not necessary but pretty!
How to Make Lobster Mac and Cheese
This lobster macaroni and cheese recipe starts with cooking the lobster. I boiled it, but there are a few other ways you can do it, such as in the oven, broiler, grill, or steamer. If you don’t want to boil it, check out this page for instructions on alternate ways.
While the lobster is cooking, you can also boil the pasta and start on the cheese sauce.
To make the cheese sauce, start by melting butter. Once the butter is melted, stir in the flour. The flour is cooked for just a minute, and then start slowly adding the milk and heavy cream. Whisk constantly while adding it so the milk/cream gets incorporated into the butter/flour mixture to result in a thick cream sauce.
Next, add the spices and salt, followed by all of the cheeses. Stir until the cheese is melted and then combine with the cooked pasta and cooked and chopped lobster. It will seem very saucy but believe me – that’s a good thing! And the pasta will soak up some of the sauce as it cooks. Add this mixture to a greased baking pan.
Last, make the breadcrumb topping by mixing together the melted butter, breadcrumbs, and a bit of salt. Sprinkle it over the mac and cheese and then bake in the oven for about 30 minutes – until it’s bubbling and golden brown.
It’s no surprise that this macaroni and cheese with lobster recipe was a HIT. Oh man is it good! We served it with a simple side salad and some fresh sourdough bread because obviously we needed more carbs.
Like this recipe? Check these out, too!
Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 lobster tails
- 10 ounces large elbow macaroni pasta or your pasta shape of choice
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 or 9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the lobster tails and boil for 8-10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove and cut shell off. Chop into small pieces.
- While the lobster is cooking, bring another pot of water to boil and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. Once cooked, strain and toss with olive oil. If it gets sticky while waiting for the cheese sauce to cook, you can toss it with cold water and break it up with your hands.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Combine the milk and cream in a large measuring cup and slowly add, whisking continuously. It's important to add the milk and cream slowly, and whisk it into the flour/butter to create a creamy mixture without lumps.
- Once the milk and cream are added, cook for a couple of minutes until slightly bubbling.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the pasta and lobster chunks to the cheese sauce, and mix well.
- Transfer mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, breadcrumbs, and salt. Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
- Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy!