Lemon Almond Pound Cake is a simply stated but unforgettable cake, with a delightful lemon glaze!
It’s my birthday week which, in my opinion, is every bit of reason to eat cake as much and as often as I would like. Marc is taking care of making my actual birthday cake, which is something I usually don’t let him do. Typically, I insist on making my own birthday cake. Or cakes. Yes, some years I make two.
But this year he absolutely would not let me make my own. He did let me pick out the recipe but as far as execution, he wants to do it all.
So to take care of my birthday baking itch, I made this Almond Lemon Pound Cake. A simple but deliciously stunning pound cake.
While I had originally intended for this just to be a lemon pound cake, I found myself eyeing the almond extract as I was grabbing the baking soda from the pantry. I don’t recall ever having anything that was almond and lemon flavor, but I had a feeling it could be delicious.
Boy, as I right. There is just a hint of almond flavoring, as I only added 1/2 teaspoon, but if you want it to shine through a little more, add an entire teaspoon.
Along with the almond extract, the lemon syrup is the other secret to this pound cake. You drizzle it over the cake while it is still warm. The cake soaks it all up and stay incredibly moist.
The icing on the cake is literally just that – the icing! I wanted a light glaze, not a frosting. I knew the cake would be delicious and wanted that to shine through. Plus, I’ll be eating lots of frosting later this week.
If you can’t tell, we absolutely loved this lemon almond pound cake. It was the perfect precursor to the rest of the cake that is to be had this week!
Lemon Almond Pound Cake
For the pound cake:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the syrup:
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a bundt pan liberally with butter or cooking spray, and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt, and whisk together.
- In separate bowl with electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down edges as needed.
- Add almond extract, lemon zest and lemon juice and beat until combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add half of buttermilk and beat until just combined.
- Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 minutes.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes and meanwhile, make the syrup.
To make the syrup:
- Combine water, sugar, and lemon juice in a small pan over medium heat and heat until lightly boiling and sugar has dissolved.
- Invert the cake onto cooling rack and brush with syrup. Let cool completely.
- Once cooled, make the glaze.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, butter, and milk.
- Pour over cooled cake.
- Serve and enjoy!