Leek and Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes are a creamy and decadent scalloped potato recipe filled with leeks, potatoes, and Gruyere cheese! It’s perfect for a Sunday supper side dish or Thanksgiving!
I grew up eating those metal containers of scalloped potatoes and ham with the plastic lid and pull back top that you pop in the microwave and “enjoy” one short minute later. I also grew up on all of those convenience foods like Hamburger (and Tuna) Helper, Little Debbies, microwave dinners, and a fair share of drive-through fast food.
Guess what? I turned out okay. At least I think I did. That might be up for debate.
While none of these things did, in fact, kill me, I think we can all agree that the trend has turned away from convenience foods like that. Don’t get me wrong. I’m sure the day will come that my kids have a Happy Meal. I also make my fair share of boxed mac and cheese. We all have those days. I can’t say, however, that I’ll ever give those canned scalloped potatoes and ham another try. Especially after making these leek and Gruyere scalloped potatoes.
Leek and Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes
Though these Leek and Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes have a few more steps than peeling back the lid and popping it in the microwave, they are actually quite simple. A little bit of slicing, sautéing and popping in the oven and you’ve got yourself some creamy, cheesy potatoes! They also take a little over an hour to bake so plan accordingly!
As the title implies, the leeks and Gruyere cheese are obviously the stars of the show here. I love cooking with leeks and the flavor they give to dishes and this is no exception. I also love the nuttiness from the Gruyere cheese. If you can’t, for some reason, get your hands on it, you can sub any sort of white cheese like white cheddar or fontina. However, the nice cheese lady at my local Lunds and Byerly’s was more than happy to help me find it!
These potatoes would be perfect for Easter dinner, a spring brunch, or Sunday supper side dish!
Need more dinner ideas? Find them in my Pinterest board!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? YOU’LL LOVE THESE TOO:
- Ham and Gruyere Egg Casserole
- Hasselback Sweet Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot (and Make Ahead!) Sweet Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
- 1 1/2 -2 lbs Yukon Golden Potatoes sliced into approximately ?” pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large leeks white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Chives for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add leeks, season with ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Spread ½ of the potato slices on bottom of a greased 9x13” pan.
- Top with ½ of the leeks and ½ of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes, leeks and cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream, milk, nutmeg, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F, and bake another 15 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve topped with chives.