This weekend my mom came to visit and on Saturday night we ended up at a local Italian restaurant for some wine and pizza. Since my mom knows me well, she also suggested the beet salad. While eating it I mentioned that every time I eat beets I make a mental note to myself to make them at home more often. Buuuut rarely do I make them. I don’t know why…they’re so dang good!
So on Sunday night, after a weekend full of good but indulgent eating, we were craving something light. Taking inspiration from our beet salad, I came up with this kale and beet salad with a warm shallot dressing, gorgonzola cheese, and sliced almonds. This is definitely one of my new favorites.
All of the steps to make this salad are super simple, but there is some prep work involved. First, you have to roast the beets which simply involves wrapping them in aluminum foil and popping them in the oven for about an hour. Second, the dressing is made on the stovetop, which I found really incorporated all of the flavors together from the shallots, garlic, and balsamic vinegar. Last, you massage the kale with the warm dressing. Have you ever massaged kale? It’s a great way to really get up close and personal with your kale (ha) and but actually (and seriously) helps to break the kale down a bit and make it easier to eat raw. I think using the warm dressing also helped to soften up the kale.
All together, the ingredients are so simple, but so delicious. This was great as a light dinner but would also be a wonderful side salad to a heartier dinner.
for the salad:
- 3 beets
- 1 bunch of kale washed, stems removed, and chopped (this was about 5-6 cups of kale)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
for the dressing:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
To cook the beets:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the beets with water, dry, and wrap each one in aluminum foil individually.
- Roast in pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Once cooled, the skin should peel off pretty easily. You can also use a knife to cut the peel off.
- Cut beets into slices for the salad.
To make the dressing:
- In medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, stirring well to combine. Cook another minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
To assemble salad:
- Combine kale and warm dressing.
- Massage dressing into the kale leaves with your hands.
- Top with beets, almonds, and cheese.